Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Welcome to our newest member, samir

samir

Jan 1, 2016
Hello!

My name is Samir! I am a professional electrician who works in IT, studies mathematics, programming, physics, and aims to take a master of technology degree in computer engineering.

To succeed with my goal of becoming a computer engineer, and being very good at it, I will have to learn a lot of math. However, I will not be studying math because I have to, but because I enjoy it. I have come to appreciate this subject very much.

I have realized just how important math is, and also how rewarding it is. Not just because you are able to solve many problems in other related subjects like physics, but how it helps you think things through, logically. I think I really discovered the "fun" part of math for the first time when I started studying things like functions. Geometry was always fun! But having geometry, functions, and algebra all tied together helped me see math in a new light. It's so much more than just numbers! The more math I learn the more I appreciate it.

I registered at this site because it appears to be well built, with a modern look and feel, and it appears to have an active, engaging community. I have used web forums for a long time, and a forum is nothing without an active (and civilized) community.

Thank you for the effort of building and maintaining this site! I hope to get to know you all a bit better. You can expect to see mostly questions from me, more than answers, as I am still learning and I am not proficient or confident enough in many areas. But I hope to be able to contribute with what I can, when I can. With time, I hope to be able to give back more to the community.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Hey, welcome to the community. By the way your name seems Arabic to me. Are originally you from an Arabic country ?

samir

Jan 1, 2016
Hey, welcome to the community. By the way your name seems Arabic to me. Are originally you from an Arabic country ?
Thank you Zaid!

Of course, the name is Arabic, indeed. If I am not mistaken, it means "companion in evening talk". At least that's the English translation I have seen. But I am originally from Bosnia and Herzegovina. My family emigrated to Sweden during the Yugoslav wars, so I grew up here, in Sweden.

Last edited:

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Welcome, samir!

I hope you enjoy and utilize to the fullest our forums, and furthermore, i hope you will spread the word and invite your friends and colleagues to drop by, too. The more, the merrier!

No problem is too small, or too big! We're more than happy to help with questions ranging in difficulty from simple arithmetic, to deep questions about analytic function theory. If you feel like taking a break from math, you're always welcome to post in our Chat sub-forum about anything under the sun. And there's usually several "challenge" puzzles, as well as our $POTW^{tm}$ questions, which range from high-scool to graduate level.

I, too, love mathematics because it is beautiful, no less so than the sonnets of Robert Browning, or Michelangelo's sculptures. It's hard to describe the intense satisfaction one gets when you realize that hidden beneath the surface of a given problem, are clues to a consistent structure with an intricacy rivaling the most delicate lace, and the strength of the stoutest steel.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello and welcome to MHB, samir ! :D

I'm glad you found us, and happy to hear you like how our site is set up. (Yes)