Calculating Speed of 2kg Block After Falling 2.5m

In summary, the problem involves a 4kg block on a frictionless ledge attached to a 2kg block by a string over a pulley with a radius of 8cm and mass of 0.6kg. Using conservation of energy, the final velocity of the 2kg block after falling 2.5m can be found by setting the initial potential energy equal to the final kinetic energy of the system, taking into account the pulley's inertia and rotational speed. This results in a final velocity of approximately 4.04 m/s. Other approaches using the work-energy theorem and Newton's third law can also be used to find the velocity.
zekester
a 4kg block resting on a frictionless horizontal ledge is attached to a string that passes over a pulley and is attached to a hanging 2kg block. the pulley is a uniform disk of radius 8cm and mass 0.6kg. find the speed of the 2kg block after it falls from rest a distance of 2.5m.

i just can't seem to figure it out.
Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the work-energy theorem: Wnet=Kf-Ki. Since in your case the object is initially at rest, Ki=0. So Wnet=Kf=1/2mvf2. So vf=(2Wnet/m)1/2.
Also, since the forces acting on the body are mg and T are constant, Wnet=mgx-Tx. So,
vf=(2gx-2Tx/m)1/2
I've done most of the problem for you. I leave it to you to find T.

Also, since mg and T are constant, so is a, and you can use
vf=(2ax)1/2
What is a? a=g-T/m according to Newton's third law. So
vf=(2gx-2Tx/m)1/2, which agrees with what I showed already.

T = mg/2 correct?

Originally posted by zekester
a 4kg block resting on a frictionless horizontal ledge is attached to a string that passes over a pulley and is attached to a hanging 2kg block. the pulley is a uniform disk of radius 8cm and mass 0.6kg. find the speed of the 2kg block after it falls from rest a distance of 2.5m.
Use conservation of energy. Initially, all you have is PE (hint: measure PE from the final position), which is transformed to KE. Be sure to include the KE of all three bodies. (No need to find tensions or acceleration.)

i got 16.3 m/s as a final velocity.
is that even close?

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
Use the work-energy theorem: Wnet=Kf-Ki. Since in your case the object is initially at rest, Ki=0. So Wnet=Kf=1/2mvf2. So vf=(2Wnet/m)1/2.
Also, since the forces acting on the body are mg and T are constant, Wnet=mgx-Tx. So,
vf=(2gx-2Tx/m)1/2
I've done most of the problem for you. I leave it to you to find T.

Also, since mg and T are constant, so is a, and you can use
vf=(2ax)1/2
What is a? a=g-T/m according to Newton's third law. So
vf=(2gx-2Tx/m)1/2, which agrees with what I showed already.
This advice isn't entirely correct. I didn't take into account the pulley's mass.

Try solving these for a.
m1a=m1g-T1
m2a=T2
(T2-T1)R=Ia/R=(1/2)MRa

DocAl's approach might work also, but I would avoid that direction simply because I don't feel comfortable using it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by formulajoe
i got 16.3 m/s as a final velocity.
is that even close?

Not even close. I can't give you the real answer since I honestly don't know (I don't know how circular acceleration works) but I can ballpark it.

here's the grade 11 style ballpark:

force down from gravity:
F = ma
F = (2)(9.81)
F = 19.62

acceleration of the 2 blocks (not including circular acceleration on the pully):
a = F/m
a = 19.62 / (2 + 4)
a = 3.27

final velocity:
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf^2 = 0 + 2(3.27)(2.5)
Vf^2 = 16.35
Vf = 4.0435 m/s

Remember, THIS IS JUST A BALLPARK FIGURE, you have to factor in the circular acceleration. Your final answer should be LESS than 4.0435

Originally posted by ShawnD
I can't give you the real answer since I honestly don't know (I don't know how circular acceleration works) but I can ballpark it.

If you're interested in how to handle the inertia of the pulley, try to follow StephenPrivitera's latest post, though that may be difficult if you haven't learned about torque yet. Otherwise, what you said is true.

There is a lot to be said, however, for the simplicity of DocAl's suggested approach. If you consider the conservation of energy of the entire system (2 masses + pulley), the problem reduces to one line (or two if you write out the geometric constraint as a separate step).
Ei = Ef
m1gΔh = .5*(m1v2 + m2v2 + Iω2)
with m1 = 2kg, m2 = 4kg, Δh = 2.5 m, and I = pulley inertia about its axis = .5MR2, and ω = v/R (relating the pulley rotational speed to the translational speed of the blocks). From that, you immediately solve for v; internal forces are not of interest.

Originally posted by jamesrc
There is a lot to be said, however, for the simplicity of DocAl's suggested approach. If you consider the conservation of energy of the entire system (2 masses + pulley), the problem reduces to one line (or two if you write out the geometric constraint as a separate step).
Ei = Ef
m1gΔh = .5*(m1v2 + m2v2 + Iω2)
with m1 = 2kg, m2 = 4kg, Δh = 2.5 m, and I = pulley inertia about its axis = .5MR2, and ω = v/R (relating the pulley rotational speed to the translational speed of the blocks). From that, you immediately solve for v; internal forces are not of interest.
This is genius. I'm putting it on my wall.

1. How is the speed of a 2kg block calculated after falling 2.5m?

The speed of a 2kg block after falling 2.5m can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height the object has fallen.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the speed of the 2kg block?

The unit of measurement for the speed of the 2kg block will be meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the speed of the block be calculated using other units of measurement?

Yes, the speed of the block can also be calculated using other units of measurement such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or feet per second (ft/s). However, the initial values of mass and height must be converted to the corresponding units for accurate results.

4. How does the mass of the block affect its final speed?

The mass of the block does not affect its final speed. According to the formula v = √(2gh), the mass of the object is not a variable in calculating the final speed. Only the acceleration due to gravity and the height the object has fallen play a role in determining the speed.

5. Is the calculated speed the same regardless of the direction of the fall?

Yes, the calculated speed will be the same regardless of the direction of the fall. This is because the formula for calculating speed (v = √(2gh)) does not take into account the direction of motion, only the initial height and acceleration due to gravity.