Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Resource icon

Welcome Threads 1.0

No permission to download
  • Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
MarkFL submitted a new resource:

Welcome Threads - Auto-posts a welcome thread for all new users.

Overview:

This product is designed to auto-post a welcome thread for all new users once they have completed all verifications, and/or returning members (who have been inactive for a defined number of days). The author of the thread can be one or more users chosen at random which you define in the product's settings. The body of the messages are also defined in the settings, with designated replacements for the username of the recipient, your forum bbtitle, and the...
Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
hey Mark -

Will the posting format allow for HTML coding?

Thanks,
Scott

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
hey Mark -

Will the posting format allow for HTML coding?

Thanks,
Scott
Hey Scott,

This product uses vBulletin's intrinsic data manager functions, so I would imagine raw HTML would only be allowed if the designated author has permission to post HTML in the destination forum. :)

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
Hey Scott,

This product uses vBulletin's intrinsic data manager functions, so I would imagine raw HTML would only be allowed if the designated author has permission to post HTML in the destination forum. :)
Makes sense, I'll test it out later this weekend.

Thanks!

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
I had one of my Admins ask about when this mod would post.

It appears this would create the thread when the user completes the registration process, even if they put into a Users Awaiting Moderation. Could this mod trigger the post after they have been accepted as a registered user? I would hate to post a welcome message to a new member that is a clear spam account.

Just a thought

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I had one of my Admins ask about when this mod would post.

It appears this would create the thread when the user completes the registration process, even if they put into a Users Awaiting Moderation. Could this mod trigger the post after they have been accepted as a registered user? I would hate to post a welcome message to a new member that is a clear spam account.

Just a thought
Locate the plugin associated with this product with the title "Post Welcoming Thread To Newly Registered User" and in that plugin locate the line of code that reads:

PHP:
if ($vbulletin->options['markfl_wt_active'] AND $vbulletin->options['markfl_wt_newusers'] AND $vbulletin->options['markfl_wt_forum'])
and change it to read:

PHP:
if ($vbulletin->options['markfl_wt_active'] AND $vbulletin->options['markfl_wt_newusers'] AND $vbulletin->options['markfl_wt_forum'] AND $newusergroupid == 2)
I haven't tested this, but it should work as you request. :)

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
had a new user to validate, checked to make sure that usergroup id was Registered and did not trigger the post and making the code change as mentioned

However, this change gives me a different way I using this modification - when a user becomes a VIP member :cool:

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
had a new user to validate, checked to make sure that usergroup id was Registered and did not trigger the post and making the code change as mentioned
So, it's now working as you want?

However, this change gives me a different way I using this modification - when a user becomes a VIP member :cool:
That would require code at a different hook location, I would think. :)

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
So, it's now working as you want?

not the moment - I do want to retest this later today as I might have caused a failure going to the wrong forum (Headbang)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
It just occurred to me, the change I suggested would only be useful if you are using email confirmation...the plugin is hooked at the registration process, so if you are manually approving users, this isn't going to work. (Doh)

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
It just occurred to me, the change I suggested would only be useful if you are using email confirmation...the plugin is hooked at the registration process, so if you are manually approving users, this isn't going to work. (Doh)
we do use email confirmations, then we have a formal review process

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
we do use email confirmations, then we have a formal review process
Okay, so then a welcome thread should be posted once they have confirmed via the email...:)

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Hi Mark, I've installed this to a 4.2.5 board and set the config up but when a new user registers a post isn't created.
Have I missed something?

My config:
https://snag.gy/B87uSz.jpg

Thanks

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Hi, when I first tested it I was not, since then I have deleted the user, signed up with a new test user with activation by e-mail confirmation link enabled and the welcome thread still isn't created.
Thanks

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hi, when I first tested it I was not, since then I have deleted the user, signed up with a new test user with activation by e-mail confirmation link enabled and the welcome thread still isn't created.
Thanks
What about when you complete the email confirmation?

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Hi Mark,
When the e-mail confirmation is completed and I can log in and post with the test user, but the thread isn't created.

I do have some mods installed that could be causing a conflict, I wouldn't know how to check for this other than disabling each one at a time and registering a new member each time, but I think I might need to give that a go.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hi Mark,
When the e-mail confirmation is completed and I can log in and post with the test user, but the thread isn't created.

I do have some mods installed that could be causing a conflict, I wouldn't know how to check for this other than disabling each one at a time and registering a new member each time, but I think I might need to give that a go.
Do you have any other plugins hooked at "register_addmember_complete"?

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Possibly, how would I check this?
Thanks

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Thanks, I do:

Auto-subscribe new user to forum
DragonByte Tech: Advanced Registration (Lite)
DragonByte Tech: vBActivity & Awards (Lite)
Register Redirect

So far I've disabled all but the last one and run a test registration, but still no luck.

Edit: Sorry it didn't take as long as I thought it would to disable and test with each. It's the Register Redirect that was causing the conflict. With that one disabled the test registration had a new thread posted after activating via email.

By any chance is it possible to have the Welcome thread mod redirect them to the new thread? Thanks

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks, I do:

Auto-subscribe new user to forum
DragonByte Tech: Advanced Registration (Lite)
DragonByte Tech: vBActivity & Awards (Lite)
Register Redirect

So far I've disabled all but the last one and run a test registration, but still no luck.

Edit: Sorry it didn't take as long as I thought it would to disable and test with each. It's the Register Redirect that was causing the conflict. With that one disabled the test registration had a new thread posted after activating via email.

By any chance is it possible to have the Welcome thread mod redirect them to the new thread? Thanks
What I would do to try to resolve the conflict between the two products is change the execution order of the plugin hooked at "register_addmember_complete" in the Register Redirect product to execute after the plugin in my product, so that my product gets executed first.

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Hi Mark, I appreciate the offer but it's a mod I'm not 100% on as I already have the VSa Advanced Forum Rules mod forcing people to the rules page which pretty much cancels it out.

I do have another question though if you don't mind:
I've installed Threads Started by User in Postbit and Profile for vB 4 and made some template tweaks to make the thread count searchable by looking at what the Postibit Post-count links to users posts mod does to make posts clickable to search and have noticed when a new member registers the user who's selected to automatically make the welcome thread's thread count does not increase, but their post count does.

Is this something I should seek support on one of those mods for, or are you able to help me with it?

Thanks again.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hi Mark, I appreciate the offer but it's a mod I'm not 100% on as I already have the VSa Advanced Forum Rules mod forcing people to the rules page which pretty much cancels it out.

I do have another question though if you don't mind:
I've installed Threads Started by User in Postbit and Profile for vB 4 and made some template tweaks to make the thread count searchable by looking at what the Postibit Post-count links to users posts mod does to make posts clickable to search and have noticed when a new member registers the user who's selected to automatically make the welcome thread's thread count does not increase, but their post count does.

Is this something I should seek support on one of those mods for, or are you able to help me with it?

Thanks again.
I have no idea how those other products are coded, so you'd have to ask them about why their product behaves a certain way. :) My product rebuilds the thread counter after the thread is created.

Subliminal

Sep 11, 2015
Ha, I just saw you were the last person to respond to the Threads Started by... mod (2 years ago!) and followed your instructions on running the "Hourly Cleanup" task - it updated the thread count.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!