Can Life Travel to Other Worlds From Earth?

In summary, some people believe that life could have come from other worlds and that it is more probable than not. They also mention that there are green strike marks on the surface of Mars and that it may be olivine. They also say that if life did come from another world, it may be the mother of all life.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
can life travel to other worlds from earth?

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040216/040216-20.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My Physician used to be a woman of "faith". We were talking about why I didn't want my child to have to sing religious songs at school, that there are many theories about the origins of life, that don't include the standards of western faith. I told her that I felt it was entirely possible, that some travellers against all regulations to the contrary, just dumped their porta potty near some warm inland sea, and all of life came from that event. It is more likely that they washed out hot cooking pans, and the bacteria that survived that heat, became the antique bacteria precursor to all life on earth, or the travellers soaked in a hot spring, and left. In the German photos from Mars, there are great green strike marks, and material seems to be ejected from the strike sites across the face of the planet. That stuff is all shown as green. They say that is olivine, but we are struck by ice from space constantly. We could have easily contaminated Mars just now, because we believe that none of our living matter could survive the trip, life is persistent. There is methane present in the Martian atmosphere, maybe it is just waiting for us to give it a little life.

As a vision, of course it's possible (as well as amusing), but it raises the question, where did those picnickers come from. What jump-started their biology? Seem to me there are two alternatives:

- Some bacterium was first.
- Closed timelike curves, as in Heinlein's story "All You Zombies".

What do you think?

selfAdjoint said:
As a vision, of course it's possible (as well as amusing), but it raises the question, where did those picnickers come from. What jump-started their biology? Seem to me there are two alternatives:

- Some bacterium was first.
- Closed timelike curves, as in Heinlein's story "All You Zombies".

What do you think?

some bacterium (somewhere) being first for this galaxy
or for this arm of the galaxy
has a different feel from
some bacterium being first for the earth, though

Dayle Record said:
*SNIP
In the German photos from Mars, there are great green strike marks, and material seems to be ejected from the strike sites across the face of the planet. That stuff is all shown as green. They say that is olivine, ...
References please!

this maybe a pointless statement, but as Earth is the only KNOWN
life bearing planet, isn't it possible that it could be the mother to
all life.

sure...now is that exciting or depressing?

1. Can life exist on other planets?

This is a complex question with no definitive answer. While there is still much we don't know about the universe, scientists have discovered several planets that have the potential to support life. However, whether or not life actually exists on these planets is still uncertain.

2. How would life travel from Earth to other worlds?

As of now, there is no known way for life to travel from Earth to other worlds. Current technology and spacecraft are not capable of traveling to other planets outside of our solar system in a reasonable amount of time. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day make interstellar travel possible.

3. Could humans survive in other worlds?

It is unlikely that humans could survive on other worlds without significant technological advancements. The conditions on other planets, such as extreme temperatures and lack of breathable air, make it difficult for humans to survive without protective gear and advanced technology.

4. Has life from Earth been found on other worlds?

To date, there is no concrete evidence that life from Earth has been found on other worlds. Some scientists theorize that microorganisms may have been carried to other planets on spacecraft, but this has not been confirmed.

5. Are there any ongoing missions to search for life on other worlds?

Yes, there are several ongoing missions and projects aimed at searching for life on other planets. This includes the Mars 2020 mission, which will search for signs of microbial life on the red planet, and the James Webb Space Telescope, which will examine the atmospheres of exoplanets for signs of habitability.