Is there a way to simplify trig functions using specific formulae?

In summary, In my textbook there are three formulae: cos^2ttheta + sin^2theta = 1, 1 + tan^2theta = sec^2theta, and cot^2theta + 1 = cosec^2theta. I am also stuck in this question: prove this identity: cosA / (1 - tanA) + sinA / (1 - cotA) = Sin A + cosA. Since this requires a proof I need to work on the LHS and RHS separately. Can someone help me start this question? I really appreciate your help.
garytse86
I am currently learning how to simplify trig functions, but is there a way to know which formulae to use?

In my textbook there are three formulae:

cos^2ttheta + sin^2theta = 1
1 + tan^2theta = sec^2theta
cot^2theta + 1 = cosec^2theta

I am also stuck in this question:

prove this identity:

cosA / (1 - tanA) + sinA / (1 - cotA) = Sin A + cosA

Since this requires a proof I need to work on the LHS and RHS separately. Can someone help me start this question? I really appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, work on the complicated side, which is the LHS.

Usually if we see tan A and cot A in an expression together with sin A and cos A, we change tan A to sin A/cos A and cot A to cos A/ sin A before further simplifying the expression. In this question, you don't need to use the 3 formulae listed.

well, the best I have done is this stage:

(cos^2A - sin^2A / cosA) + (sin^2A - cos^2A / sinA)

Please show your working as I think the expression you got isn't correct. You can try to substitute A=30 degrees to (cos^2A - sin^2A / cosA) + (sin^2A - cos^2A / sinA) and (Sin A + cosA), you'll get 2 different values.

sorry the LHS was this:

(cos^2A - sin^2A / cosA) + (sin^2A - cos^2A / sinA) + sinA + cosA

Originally posted by garytse86
sorry the LHS was this:

(cos^2A - sin^2A / cosA) + (sin^2A - cos^2A / sinA) + sinA + cosA

If (cos^2A - sin^2A / cosA) + (sin^2A - cos^2A / sinA) + sinA + cosA = sin A + cos A

then,
(cos^2A - sin^2A / cosA) + (sin^2A - cos^2A / sinA) = 0
which is also not correct

Your orginal question is to prove
cosA / (1 - tanA) + sinA / (1 - cotA) = Sin A + cosA

Let's focus on cosA / (1 - tanA) first. After changing tan A to sin A/cos A, what do you get ? (Hint: you need to simply the denominator first)

you get:

(cosA / 1- (sinA/cosA)) + (sinA / 1- (cosA/sinA))

= cosA ( 1- (cosA/sinA)) + sinA (1- (sinA/cosA))

= cosA - (cos^2A/sinA) + sinA - (sin^2A/cosA)

Originally posted by garytse86
(cosA / 1- (sinA/cosA)) + (sinA / 1- (cosA/sinA))

= cosA ( 1- (cosA/sinA)) + sinA (1- (sinA/cosA)) [/B]

This step is wrong.

The correct steps should be (I'll only do [cosA/(1 - tanA)] )
1-tan A
= 1- (sin A / cos A)
= (cos A - sin A) / cos A

therefore,
cos A / (1- tan A)
= cos A / [(cos A - sin A) / cos A]
= cos2A / (cos A - sin A)

Can you do the second part yourself and simplify the LHS ?

the second part would be:

sin^2A / (sinA - cosA)

Bingo! So can you prove the identity now ? And do you know what you have done wrong?

yeah, I know what I have done wrong, but how does this prove that identity = sin A + cos A?

cos2A / (cos A - sin A) + sin2A / (sinA - cosA)
= cos2A / (cos A - sin A) - sin2A / (cos A - sin A)
= (cos2A - sin2 A)/(cos A - sin A)
= (cos A - sin A)(cos A + sin A)/ (cos A - sin A)
= cos A + sin A

thanks very much for your help, kl.:wink:

1. What is the purpose of simplifying trig functions?

Simplifying trig functions allows us to reduce complex expressions involving trigonometric functions into simpler forms, making it easier to solve equations and perform calculations.

2. How do you simplify trig functions?

To simplify trig functions, we use the fundamental identities and basic algebraic techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and using common denominators.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in simplifying trig functions?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities in simplifying trig functions are the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and even-odd identities.

4. Can all trig functions be simplified?

Yes, all trig functions can be simplified using the appropriate identities and techniques. However, the resulting simplified form may not always be the most useful or convenient form for a particular problem.

5. Why is it important to check for extraneous solutions when simplifying trig functions?

When simplifying trig functions, we may end up with solutions that are not valid for the original equation. These are known as extraneous solutions. It is important to check for extraneous solutions to ensure that our final solution is accurate and applicable to the problem at hand.