Help! How to Solve Math Methods Problem Involving Radio Transmitter & Railway

In summary: Can you help?In summary, the person is having difficulty with a problem in IB math methods and asks for help. The summary provides a simplified version of the problem.
Astronomer107
I'm in IB math methods, working on a project and I can't seem to figure out what to do with this problem.

A radio transmitter sends signals to a railway which run along a straight track. When a set of coodinate axes is used to represent this system, the transmitter is at R(1,0), and the track T is a line w/ equation 2x+y=30, where the units are kilometers.
- Points A and be are the points of T that cross the x and y axis
- The engine receives the strongest signal at C, which is the point on T closest to R.
- P(x,y) is a general point on T

My problem is this:
let s(x) represent the distance between R(1,0) and P(x,y). Show that
s(x)= sq rt (5x^2-122x+901).

Help! I don't even know where to begin. I said that point C is
(15x-15, -60x + 900). Since RP is (x-1)i + (-2x+30)j, does the 901 in the thing I'm supposed to show have to do with... oh never mind I'm REALLY confused. Please help me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
poof

First, all we have to do is show that s(x) = sqrt (5x^2 - 122x + 901). It seems like your making this out to be a lot more complicated then it really is. Forget vectors or anything other then good old algebra for a minute.

Recall the distance formula: sqrt[ (x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 ]

We plug in our values for (x1,y1) (x2,y2) from the points given.

Therefore:

s(x) = sqrt [ (x-1)^2 + y^2 ]

Now we need to change that y^2 into x..we are in luck because they have given us the equation of the line on which these points are located. Solve 2x + y = 30 for y... we get: y = 30 - 2x

Substitute this back into the equation we just obtained with the distance formula and multiply it out.

s(x) = sqrt [ (x-1)^2 + (30-2x)^2 ]

s(x) = sqrt [ x^2 - 2x +1 + 900 - 120x + 4(x)^2 ]

simplify:

s(x) = sqrt [ 5(x)^2 - 122x + 901 ]

There you have it.

Thanks!

Thank you so much! I can't believe how simple that was. I have such a huge problem when I am asked to prove things. I just never seem to find the way to do it.

Another Problem

In the above problem, they want me to draw an arc with the center R with a radius of 28 and then find the length of the portion of T that will be within the range of the arc. The drawing the arc was no problem, but I don't know how to find it.

1. How do I calculate the frequency of a radio transmitter?

The frequency of a radio transmitter can be calculated using the formula f = c/λ, where f is the frequency, c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 meters per second), and λ is the wavelength in meters. You can also use the formula f = 1/T, where T is the period of the wave in seconds.

2. How do I determine the wavelength of a radio wave?

The wavelength of a radio wave can be determined using the formula λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency. Alternatively, you can use the formula λ = v/f, where v is the velocity of the wave (in meters per second) and f is the frequency.

3. How does the position of a railway affect a radio transmitter's signal?

The position of a railway can affect a radio transmitter's signal in several ways. If the railway is parallel to the direction of the radio wave, it can cause interference and decrease the strength of the signal. If the railway is perpendicular to the direction of the radio wave, it can cause diffraction, which can also affect the signal's strength. Additionally, if the railway is close to the transmitter, it can create reflections and cause multipath interference.

4. What is the relationship between the distance from a railway and the strength of a radio signal?

The strength of a radio signal decreases as the distance from the railway increases. This is due to the attenuation of the signal as it travels through the air and interacts with objects, such as the railway. The farther away the railway is, the less influence it will have on the signal, resulting in a stronger and clearer signal.

5. How can I improve the transmission of a radio signal near a railway?

There are several ways to improve the transmission of a radio signal near a railway. One option is to use directional antennas that can focus the signal in a specific direction and reduce interference from the railway. Another option is to use shielding materials to block the radio waves from interacting with the railway. Additionally, choosing a frequency that is less likely to be affected by the railway's physical properties can also improve the signal's transmission.