What is the true meaning of college?

In summary, WordWeb defines college as a body of faculty and students, an institution of higher education, British slang for prison, and a complex of buildings. The term may have originated from prisoners learning and calling it "college".
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I was using WordWeb to see if there was a difference between "university" and "college". Here's what it says for college

1. The body of faculty and students of a college
2. An institution of higher education created to educate and grant degrees; often a part of a university
3. British slang for prison
4. A complex of buildings in which a college is housed

Interesting...

Physics news on Phys.org
3. British slang for prison

If i remember correctly this is because the inmates used to learn a lot whilst inside so they started calling it college.

Originally posted by Andy
If i remember correctly this is because the inmates used to learn a lot whilst inside so they started calling it college.

Learned up on escaping most likely. Either that or studied something like engineering so they can build something to escape in.

1. What is the purpose of college?

The purpose of college is to provide students with a comprehensive education and a specialized skill set in a particular field of study. It also prepares them for the workforce and helps them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How is college different from high school?

College is different from high school in many ways. In college, students have more independence and are responsible for managing their own schedule and coursework. The level of difficulty and expectations for academic performance are also typically higher in college.

3. Is college necessary for a successful career?

While a college education can be beneficial in securing a successful career, it is not always necessary. Some careers may require a specific degree or certification, while others may value experience and skills over a degree. Ultimately, the definition of a successful career varies for each individual.

4. How do I choose the right college?

Choosing the right college depends on individual preferences and goals. Some factors to consider include the size and location of the college, available programs and majors, cost, and campus culture. Doing research and visiting campuses can also help in making an informed decision.

5. Does the name of the college matter?

The name of the college can have an impact on job opportunities and networking connections, but it does not guarantee success. What matters more is the skills and knowledge gained from the college experience. It is important to choose a college that aligns with your goals and offers a strong academic program in your chosen field.