Easy derivitive giving me some trouble

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
In summary, when finding the derivative of ln x^(1/2), you can 'pull' the 1/2 down and out in front, resulting in 1/2 1/x. Using the chain rule, the derivative becomes 1/2x.
kdinser
Ok, this one is giving me a headache. I'm missing something stupid here and I don't know where, probably because I've been studying since 4:30 am EST :smile:

find d/dx (ln x^(1/2) I know the answer is 1/2x as it says in the back of the book, I've also confirmed that the answer is correct with a graphing calculator

I use the chain rule, f'(g(x))(g'(x)) if f(x)=ln x and g(x)=x^(1/2) then I have [1/x^(1/2)][1/(2x(x^(1/2))]

Now it looks to me like the end of this problem would be 1/2x^2 Since this is not the correct derivative, something is wrong somewhere. I'm sure it's a silly algebraic mistake where x^(1/2) should be in the numerator at some point to allow it to cancel out. thanks for any help.

Also, if these forums have some kind of standard that problems and work should be submitted in, please point me to it. I'd hate to think I'm making things more difficult with the way I'm formatting my problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
ln x^1/2

because of the rules of ln, you can 'pull' the 1/2 down and out in front

1/2 ln x

and as you know, the deriv. of ln x, is 1/x

1/2 1/x

result

1/2x

;)

DOH! I knew I was forgetting something simple, just trying to crank through these exercises to fast I guess, thanks.

kdinser said:
I use the chain rule, f'(g(x))(g'(x)) if f(x)=ln x and g(x)=x^(1/2) then I have [1/x^(1/2)][1/(2x(x^(1/2))]
f'(g(x)) = 1/x^(1/2) = x^(-1/2)
g'(x) = (1/2)x^(-1/2)

Now the derivative becomes:
x^(-1/2)(1/2)x^(-1/2) = 1/2 x^(-1) = 1/(2x)

Last edited:

1. What is a derivative and why is it important?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. It is important because it allows us to analyze how a function is changing and make predictions about its behavior.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

3. What are the common mistakes when taking derivatives?

Common mistakes when taking derivatives include forgetting to apply the chain rule, making algebraic errors, and using incorrect differentiation rules. It is important to double-check your work and use caution when manipulating algebraic expressions.

4. How can I improve my understanding of derivatives?

To improve your understanding of derivatives, you can practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, or use online resources such as videos and interactive tutorials.

5. What real-world applications use derivatives?

Derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze changes in physical systems, calculate rates of change in economic trends, and optimize designs in engineering projects, among other things.