Solving Calc AP Problem 1: Total Distance 0-2

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, the problem involves calculating the total distance traveled by a particle along the x-axis from t=0 to t=2, given its velocity function v(t) = ln(t+1) - 2t + 1. There may be intervals where the particle is moving backwards, so the absolute value of the distance must be taken into account. This can be calculated by finding the area under the absolute value of the velocity function, or by graphing the absolute value of the function and finding the area under the curve.
tandoorichicken
Problem: A particle moves along the x-axis so that any time t >_ 0 its velocity is given by v(t) = ln(t + 1) - 2t + 1. What is the total distance traveled by the particle from t=0 to t=2?

Am I correct that the total distance is the area under the curve? I tried doing the integration on my calculator, and it gave me a negative answer. Then I graphed to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. I don't think I should be getting a negative answer, so... help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem here is that your particle isn't always moving forward. When you measure total distance, you'll need to determine the intervals where the particle is moving backward (where velocity is negative) and take the absolute value of that distance.
Just a thought.

If it is velocity then area under the curve gives u displacement not distance for calculating distance apply the following formula

Distance covered from time t=a to t=b is

[tex]\int_a^{b} |v(t)|dt[/tex]

Or draw the graph of |v(t)| from the graph of v(t)

Area under |v(t)| will give u distance

1. What is the purpose of solving Calc AP Problem 1: Total Distance 0-2?

The purpose of solving this problem is to find the total distance traveled by an object between t = 0 and t = 2, given its velocity function. This is a common type of problem in calculus and is used to test students' understanding of concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

2. How do I approach solving this problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, including any given information and what is being asked. Then, use the given velocity function to find the equation for the object's position at any time t. Next, use the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the definite integral of the position function between t = 0 and t = 2. This will give you the total distance traveled by the object.

3. What if I don't have a given velocity function?

In some cases, the problem may not explicitly provide a velocity function. In this case, you will need to use other given information, such as the acceleration or position function, to find the velocity function. If this information is not given, you may need to use other calculus concepts, such as the chain rule or product rule, to find the velocity function.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Calculators are not allowed during the AP Calculus exam. However, you may use a calculator to check your work or to assist in calculations. It is important to show all steps and work when solving this problem, so simply using a calculator to find the answer is not sufficient.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to use the given information to create a graph of the position function and visually confirm that the total distance traveled matches your calculated answer. You can also use a calculator or online integral calculator to double-check your answer. Additionally, practicing similar problems and checking your work with the answer key can help you improve your problem-solving skills.