Half-Life Phenomena: Comparing to Hot Coffee

In summary: So I would say you were right, too.But, as I said, I'm not a chemist, so take that with a grain of salt :)In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of heat transfer and the effect of temperature difference on the rate of heat loss. The participants also touch on the idea of adding cream to hot coffee and how it affects the rate of cooling. They also mention the role of protons and electrons in determining chemical properties.
barcat
The book we are using (Physics 101) has shown quit
well that there will be a greater quantity of heat
loss (and faster), of a substance to it’s environment,
if the difference of temperatures between the two is
greater. Also, there will be initially a faster rate
of heat loss / time due to this greater difference in
temperature.

Can one compare this effect to that of the half-life of
radioactive decay? I believe I understand correctly,
that a “Hot” radioactive substance will lose (decay)
more energy during the same time frame (half-life cycle)
than a same sample that is “Cold” as there is more
energy to be cut in half during the same amount of time.

If this is correct, then it shows that as a substance
looses heat, the slower it looses heat, as it gets
cooler.

The reason I say this is we had a discussion question that
asked when to add cream to hot coffee. If there was going
to be a wait prior to drinking it, do you add the the cream
as soon as possible, or just before you drink it? The idea
is the best way to have the hottest coffee that has sat for
length of time.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this answers your question, but there are 3 basic types of heat transfer:

1.) conduction: heat transfer is proportional to the change in temperature (something like qdot = k(Thot-Tcold), where qdot is heat flux rate and k is thermal conductivity))

2.) convection: heat transfer is proportional to the temperature change, but also has factors that are dependent upon geometry and temperature (fluid mechanics gets involved here).

3.) radiation: the rate of heat transfer here is proportional to T^4

So in any case, the closer a substance is to ambient temperature to begin with, the lower the heat transfer will be.

jamesrc;
I re-read my post and it even confused me. I guess the questions I am asking is: is it true the hotter a susbtace is the faster it will cool during a particular time period? Will cooling the coffee by adding the cream sooner (rather than waiting) provide the hottest result later.
I agree there are quit a few variable not taken into account. By adding the cream, doesn't it lighten the solution making it less of an absorber/emitter? Does the density of the cream also affect this rate of heat transfer of the final solution?
Thanks-barry.

Hmmm...

I don't drink coffee, so don't take this as definitive, but here's my initial reaction: the sooner you put the cream in, the hotter the coffee will be. (If you wait long enough, it won't make a difference, because it will end up at room temperature anyway.) If you simplify the situation and assume that heat is lost to the environment purely through conduction and the relationship between heat and temperature of the substance is from calorimetry, then you have an exponential decay in temperature (which you were driving at with your half-life analogy). The drop in temperature due to the addition of the cream will be on a much faster time scale than the overall cooling of the coffee. If you drop the cream in earlier, you will reduce the temperature difference between the mixture and the environment and, therefore, reduce the rate of heat transfer. This way, the earlier you drop in the cream, the hotter the coffee stays.

Oh, and by cream I'm assuming it's some slightly lower than room temperature half-and-half as opposed to some kind of solid cream (that would undergo a phase change).

jamesrc, you hit the nail right on the head. That is exactly what I was trying to say but could'nt get it out.

Originally posted by jamesrc

Oh, and by cream I'm assuming it's some slightly lower than room temperature half-and-half as opposed to some kind of solid cream (that would undergo a phase change).

This is another variable that I never thought to think of.

This Conceptual Physics course I'm taking seems to leave quit a bit of room for personal opinion to play a role.

On my last exam, there was a question with regard to Chemistry.

The question was- What lends more to the properties of a chemical; a. electrons, b. protons, c. it's size, or d. the distance the protons and electrons?

I chose (b) because the Chem-101 class I just finished indicated that it is the number of protons in the nuclus that dictate the chemical properties of an element. I ended up getting it wrong...no explanation!

Originally posted by barcat
The question was- What lends more to the properties of a chemical; a. electrons, b. protons, c. it's size, or d. the distance the protons and electrons?

I chose (b) because the Chem-101 class I just finished indicated that it is the number of protons in the nuclus that dictate the chemical properties of an element. I ended up getting it wrong...no explanation!

I can guess their explanation: the chemical properties of an atom depend mostly on how its electrons interact with the electrons of other atoms. However, you are correct in noting that the number of protons in the nucleus is what dictates how many electrons it has, and thus the electronic structure and chemical properties of the atom.

1. What is the "Half-Life Phenomena"?

The "Half-Life Phenomena" refers to the concept of radioactive decay, where the amount of a radioactive substance decreases by half over a certain period of time. This phenomenon is used to measure the stability and half-life of different radioactive elements.

2. How is "Half-Life Phenomena" related to "Hot Coffee"?

The term "Hot Coffee" is often used as a metaphor for radioactive decay, as the heat from a cup of coffee dissipates over time just as the radioactivity of a substance decreases. This comparison helps to explain the concept of half-life in a more relatable way.

3. What is the significance of studying "Half-Life Phenomena"?

Understanding the behavior of radioactive substances and their half-lives is crucial in various scientific fields, such as nuclear physics, environmental science, and medicine. It also has practical applications in dating methods and nuclear power generation.

4. How is the half-life of a substance determined?

The half-life of a substance is determined by measuring the rate of decay and calculating the time it takes for the amount of the substance to decrease by half. This can be done through experiments or by using mathematical equations based on the decay constant of the substance.

5. Can the half-life of a substance change?

No, the half-life of a substance is a constant value that is unique to each radioactive element. It is not affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions. However, the rate of decay can be influenced by these factors, leading to a change in the observed half-life.