Enthalpy of Combustion per mole of H2

• Thread starter Integral0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the enthalpy of combustion per mole of H2 and CH4. They are found to be equal, with the explanation that "molar volume" and "per mole" can be used interchangeably in this context. The molar volume is the volume occupied by one mole of an ideal gas at STP, and the enthalpy of combustion is the change in enthalpy per mole in the standard state of formation.
Integral0
Enthalpyof Combustion of 1 molar volume of H2(g) divided by Enthalpyof Combustion of 1 molar volume of CH4(g)

=

Enthalpyof Combustion per mole of H2 divided by Enthalpy of Combustion per mole of CH4

why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why does x/y = mx/(my)?

Re

I guess . . . I'm just writing down what the book says . . .

RE

I am asking why is one molar volume equal to one mole in this case at hand?

Originally posted by Integral0
I am asking why is one molar volume equal to one mole in this case at hand?
It isn't :)

Where does it say that the enthalpy of combustion for one mole or one molar is the same? The only thing the same, is the answer of the division, the fraction (by lack of a better word).

RE

why are the two expressions above (my first post) the same or equal?

My previous comment was wrong . . . I was just trying to piece together why they would be the same. "I am asking why is one molar volume equal to one mole in this case at hand?"

Please paraphrase your question --- the only thing that is clear is that you are struggling with a definition --- which definition it is, is not clear.

OK, let's look at it in the following way. Hypothetical numbers.

The enthalpy of burning 2 liter one molar H2 is x.
The enthalpy of burning 2 liter one molar CH4 is 2x.

So H2/CH4 would be x/2x.

Now, let's look at moles.

The enthalpy of burning one mole H2 is 0.5x
The enthalpy of burning one mole CH4 is x

So H2/CH4 would be 0.5x/x, which can rewritten as x/2x.

So x/2x = 0.5x/x.

RE

but the first expression says "Molar volume" while the second one says "per mole"?

Are they the same?

What is there relation to each other?

Paraphrasing, "Does 'molar' mean 'per mole'?" In this instance, yes. "Molar volume" does mean volume per mole, and one molar volume is a way of saying one mole. Likewise, "molar enthalpy" is the same thing as saying enthalpy per mole.

For an instance in which "molar" does not imply one mole, consider 10 ml of a one "molar" solution --- "x molar" means x moles per liter of solution at whatever temperature is indicated for the glassware.

Well, molar volume just means moles/liter, it is a concentration. While per mole is an absolute amount.

.. a few cogs have turned in my head .. maybe what is meant with a 1 molar volume, is the volume of gas that defines the amount of 1 mole??

hgm..

RE

well, if "per mole" and molar volume can be used interchangeable in this situation, why did they use both?

I think we aren't understanding each other here.

I am asking in the question why can the two expressions equal each other since one specifies "Enthalpy of Combustion Per MOLE" and the other specifies "Enthalpy of Combustion of 1 molar volume".

Is the "Enthalpy of Combustion Per MOLE" the same as the "Enthalpy of Combustion of 1 molar volume"?

Molar volume is the volume occupied by one mole of ideal gas at STP. Its value is:

22.414 L mol¯1

Enthalpy of Combustion is the change of enthalpy in the standard state of formation per mole.

Any insights MONIQUE?

AH! SEE! Good that you kept asking Integral0 :)

Here is the definition: The molar volume is the volume occupied by one mole of ideal gas at STP.

The unit is L mol^-1

So no matter what, you are always dealing with one mole, if you are talking about 1 molar volume, or per mole.

awesome!

YOUR AWESOME MONIQUE!

PM me about biochemistry (your major concentration in college) . . .

Do you like it? etc . . . Experiences?

hehe, sorry about talking past each other.. it is a strange example..

well, if "per mole" and molar volume can be used interchangeable in this situation, why did they use both?
To illustrate that they can be used interchangeably?

Is the "Enthalpy of Combustion Per MOLE" the same as the "Enthalpy of Combustion of 1 molar volume"?
yes

YOUR AWESOME MONIQUE!
why, thanks. It had been a while that I had used the expression molar volume.. thanks for reminding me about it :wink:

1. What is Enthalpy of Combustion?

Enthalpy of Combustion is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of heat released when a substance undergoes complete combustion. It is typically measured in units of energy per mole.

2. How is Enthalpy of Combustion calculated?

Enthalpy of Combustion can be calculated using the formula ΔH = Q/m, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, Q is the heat released, and m is the mass of the substance being combusted.

3. What factors affect the Enthalpy of Combustion?

The Enthalpy of Combustion is affected by the type of fuel being burned, the amount of oxygen available for combustion, and the temperature at which the combustion occurs. Other factors such as pressure and humidity can also have an impact.

4. Why is Enthalpy of Combustion important?

Enthalpy of Combustion is important because it provides information about the energy content of a substance and its potential for use as a fuel. It also allows scientists to compare the efficiency of different fuels and determine the environmental impact of combustion.

5. How is Enthalpy of Combustion used in real-world applications?

Enthalpy of Combustion is used in a variety of industries, including energy production, transportation, and manufacturing. It is used to calculate the energy output of power plants, determine the efficiency of engines and vehicles, and optimize industrial processes. It is also an important factor in the development of new, more efficient and eco-friendly fuels.