Weird unconventional geometry problem

In summary, the given cone with height/length "L" and radius R is spun around the y-axis, creating a cylinder-like shape with a vertical-convex bit. This shape can be graphed on the YZ-plane by considering a cylinder tangent to the cone's base and swept by the cone's rotation. The cone's curved heel will also encase the cylinder with a section of an ellipse.
Jarfi
You are given a cone with height/length "L" and radius R. This cones Length is parallel to the Z axis in an XYZ frame of reference while the radius is parallel to the XY-plane.

This cone is then revolved(spun) around the y-axis, graph the area "touched" by the cone on the YZ-plane.

I am mathematically illiterate so yeah this is not quite as legitly explained as i'd like but I tried.

Here are pictures of this thing:

Attachments

• 20140921_214019.jpg
    20140921_214019.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 20140921_213629.jpg
    20140921_213629.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 20140921_213810.jpg
    20140921_213810.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 20140921_213644.jpg
    20140921_213644.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 20140921_213733.jpg
    20140921_213733.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 419
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It should be a cylinder-like thing with a vertical-convex bit which would correspond to the vertical bit of the cylinder, minus two filled cones.

This is far from a rigorous treatment of the problem, but my reasoning goes something along the lines of this:

Orient everything so the cone is horizontal, and the axis it's being spun around is vertical. Consider the cylinder, centered at the origin, which spans the height of the cone (which is equal to the cone's diameter) and goes out far enough to be tangent to the cone's base. This cylinder slices into the cone, making a circle-y cross-section on the cylinder. For every point on the outer wall of the cylinder, some point on the circle-y cross-section will be at the same height as that point on the outer wall, so while the cone sweeps around, the circle-y cross section will hit that point, so every point on the outer wall of the cylinder will be touched by the cone. Using smaller, similar cylinders gives us a series of outer-cylinder-walls whose heights are linearly increasing with radius that get hit by the cone, which corresponds to a cylinder minus two cones.

Now the circumference of the cone's base is further from the origin than the cone's base's center, though, so the curved heel of the cone's circumference will sweep out a convex surface encasing the cylinder. I believe the surface will be a section of an ellipse, swept around the circumference of the cylinder.

I'm unfortunately a little too tired to do calculations right now, so I can't really give a more rigorous treatment than the hand-wavey vague terms I just did.

Related to Weird unconventional geometry problem

1. What is an unconventional geometry problem?

An unconventional geometry problem is a mathematical problem that involves geometric figures and concepts, but may have a non-traditional or unusual approach to solving it.

2. How do you approach solving a weird unconventional geometry problem?

The first step in solving a weird unconventional geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the given problem. Then, try to identify any familiar geometric concepts or theorems that can be applied. If none seem applicable, try to think creatively and break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are some strategies for solving weird unconventional geometry problems?

Some strategies for solving weird unconventional geometry problems include working backwards, using visual aids such as diagrams or models, trying different approaches, and seeking help or advice from others.

4. How important is it to show all steps in solving a weird unconventional geometry problem?

It is important to show all steps in solving a weird unconventional geometry problem in order to clearly communicate your thought process and reasoning. This can also help in identifying any mistakes and making corrections if needed.

5. What can I do if I am stuck on a weird unconventional geometry problem?

If you are stuck on a weird unconventional geometry problem, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with a colleague or seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, looking for similar problems or examples online can provide helpful insights and techniques for solving the problem.