Weird Router Problem: Help Needed for Caribbean ISP Setup

In summary: The summary is that the author is having problems with his router and he is trying to solve the problem by using a double router setup. His computer can access the internet fine when he connects it directly to the DSL box, but certain webpages won't load when he uses the Vonage router.
aychamo
Hey guys;

I'm experiencing a really weird problem with my router..

First, my setup: I'm living in the Caribbean so I have to use a goofy ISP. We have a PPPoE DSL connection to them. I then have a Linksys Broadband Firewall Router hooked up to the DSL box, then I have a Linksys Wireless Vonage Router hooked up to the Linksys Broadband Firewall Router.

I have to run this double router setup because there is something screwy with the ISP here when you use the Vonage router to connect to them. They told me the only workaround is this double router setup.

Ok, that's fine. I have the First router (the one which is inbetween the Vonage router and the DSL box) set to 192.168.2.0, and the 2nd router (Vonage) is set to 192.168.1.0 ..

My computer uses wireless, so it access the internet via the 2nd (Vonage Wireless) router.

When I have this setup, the internet "kind" of works. The Vonage works fine, it connects to the Vonage server and I have phone service. However, about half of the webpages I try to visit refuse to load. This includes my own page (www.aychamo.com)[/URL], and tuaw.com, and I was unable to connect to iTunes music store. However other pages loaded perfectly fine (ie, Google, Gmail, these forums, etc)

I hooked my computer (Mac Powerbook OS X 10.4.5) directly to the DSL box and I can access every webpage perfectly fine. So it has to be some configuration in the Router.. But I can't for my life think of what setting would prevent certain webpages from being loaded, while others load fine.

Does anyone have an idea? (I attached a diagram of my routers)

Thank you so kindly
Aychamo

Attachments

• routers.jpg
    routers.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 408
Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
aychamo said:
about half of the webpages I try to visit refuse to load
This is not my area of expertise, but what do you mean exactly by refusing to load? If you mean that the page IP is not found then you would look at DNS settings along the way. I don't quite know how your current setup resolves domain names compared to the Mac you tried, but this is where I would start looking. Take this with a grain of salt because networking is not my field...

It could be:

Routing problem
Wireless problem

what happens if you do a tracert (dunno what it is in Mac) to www.aychamo.com where does it fail

Related to Weird Router Problem: Help Needed for Caribbean ISP Setup

1. What is the specific problem with the Caribbean ISP setup?

The specific problem with the Caribbean ISP setup is that the router is not functioning properly, causing internet connection issues for customers in the area.

2. How can the Caribbean ISP troubleshoot the router problem?

The Caribbean ISP can troubleshoot the router problem by checking the physical connections, restarting the router, and updating the firmware. They can also contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

3. What factors could be contributing to the router problem?

Some possible factors that could be contributing to the router problem include faulty hardware, outdated firmware, network congestion, or interference from other electronic devices.

4. How can the Caribbean ISP prevent similar router problems in the future?

To prevent similar router problems in the future, the Caribbean ISP can regularly maintain and update their routers, invest in high-quality hardware, and monitor network traffic to identify and address any potential issues.

5. Is there a quick fix for the router problem?

It depends on the specific cause of the router problem. In some cases, a simple restart or firmware update may solve the issue. However, if the problem is more complex, it may require more thorough troubleshooting and potentially the replacement of hardware.