Magnetism and Conducting Loops: Which Description is Correct?

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question about a conducting loop and a bar magnet. The correct answer is either C or D, which both state that the loop will be repelled to the left and its area will decrease or increase slightly. The change in area is due to the repulsion of current-carrying segments in the loop, causing the loop to expand or contract in a similar way to two current-carrying wires repelling each other.
KLscilevothma
This question appeared in the physics exam yesterday and I'm not sure what is the correct answer.

The figure shows a light and flexible conducting loop C freely hung on a smooth horizontal rail. A bar magnet PQ approaches the loop from the right. Which of the following descriptions about this process is correct ?
A. if P is an N-pole, the loop will be repelled ot the left and its area will increase slightly.
B. If P is an N-ple, the loop will be attracted to the right and its area will decrease slightly.
C. No matter whether P is an N-pole or a S-pole, the loop will be repelled to the left and its are will decrease slightly.
D. No matter whether P is an N-pole or a S-pole, the loop will be repelled to the left and its area will increase slightly.

I think the correct answer is either C or D but I don't know why the change in area of the loop is involved in this process.

Edit:typo

Attachments

• a.bmp
    14.5 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by KLscilevothma
I think the correct answer is either C or D but I don't know why the change in area of the loop is involved in this process.
Think of two current-carrying wires side by side. They exert forces on each other, depending on the orientation of the currents. Now consider that loop with its induced current. Segments of the loop on opposite sides carry current in opposite directions, so they repel each other. So the flexible loop expands.

Um.. but what I can imagine is volume expansion of the loop but the area doesn't change, just like the case when 2 current carring wires are put side by side, they repel each other if the currect direction is opposite. Am I missing something here ?

Originally posted by KLscilevothma
Um.. but what I can imagine is volume expansion of the loop but the area doesn't change, just like the case when 2 current carring wires are put side by side, they repel each other if the currect direction is opposite. Am I missing something here ?
I don't know what you mean by "volume" expansion of the loop. If two current-carrying wires repel, they will spread apart if free to do so. For the loop, opposite sides repel. Since the loop is flexible, the sides will stretch open, increasing the loop area.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a natural phenomenon in which objects are attracted to each other based on their magnetic properties. It is caused by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and is a fundamental force of nature.

2. How does a magnet work?

A magnet works by creating a magnetic field around itself. This field is made up of invisible lines of force that are strongest at the poles of the magnet. When two magnets are brought close together, the opposite poles attract each other while the like poles repel.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of a material that naturally has magnetic properties and can retain its magnetism without an external source of energy. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which produces a magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire.

4. How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in compasses for navigation, in motors and generators, in speakers and headphones, and in credit cards and hard drives. It is also used in medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines.

5. Can magnetism be harmful to humans?

In most cases, magnetism is not harmful to humans. However, extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those found in MRI machines, can affect the functioning of electronic devices and may cause discomfort or injury to individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers. It is important to follow safety guidelines and warnings when working with powerful magnets.