Weight on an elevator question torturing me

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of apparent weight in an elevator and provides the equation Force Normal = mg + ma. The three situations discussed are when the elevator is accelerating upward with an acceleration of 1.40 m/s2, when it is moving upward at a constant speed, and when it is accelerating downward with an acceleration of 1.70 m/s2. The correct solutions for each situation are: (a) 1795.2 N, (b) 862.4 N, and (c) 1575.2 N. The mistake in the attempted solutions was using g (9.8 m/s2) instead of the given acceleration value (1.4 m/s2 or -1.7
mr.coon
A 88.0 kg person stands on a scale in an elevator. What is the apparent weight in each of the following situations?
(a) when the elevator is accelerating upward with an acceleration of 1.40 m/s2

(b) when the elevator is moving upward at a constant speed

(c) when the elevator is accelerating downward with an acceleration of 1.70 m/s2

in my text it talks about apparent weight on an elevator and gives the equation:

Force Normal = mg + ma

then it doesn't say a darn thing afterwords. no example or anything.

my attempted solutions:

a) a= 9.8 + 1.4 = 11.2 m/s^2

F = (88kg x 9.8m/s^2)+(88kg x 11.2m/s^2)= 1795.2 N

b) the elevator isn't moving so the apparent weight would be the same as the normal weight
w = mg = 88 x 9.8 = 862.4N

c) a = 9.8 - 1.7 = 8.1m/s^2

F = (88 x 9.8)+(88 x 8.1)= 1575.2n

i know a and c can't make sense because they are worked the same way and c is greater b. c should be less than b

am i using the formula wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mr.coon said:
A 88.0 kg person stands on a scale in an elevator. What is the apparent weight in each of the following situations?
(a) when the elevator is accelerating upward with an acceleration of 1.40 m/s2

(b) when the elevator is moving upward at a constant speed

(c) when the elevator is accelerating downward with an acceleration of 1.70 m/s2

in my text it talks about apparent weight on an elevator and gives the equation:

Force Normal = mg + ma

then it doesn't say a darn thing afterwords. no example or anything.

my attempted solutions:

a) a= 9.8 + 1.4 = 11.2 m/s^2
No, a= 1.4. g is 9.8

F = (88kg x 9.8m/s^2)+(88kg x 11.2m/s^2)= 1795.2 N
This should be either 88kg x 9.8 m/s^2+ 88kg*1.4m/s^2 or 88kg(9.2+ 1.4)= 88kg(11.2m/s)

b) the elevator isn't moving so the apparent weight would be the same as the normal weight
w = mg = 88 x 9.8 = 862.4N
Yes, that is correct.

c) a = 9.8 - 1.7 = 8.1m/s^2

F = (88 x 9.8)+(88 x 8.1)= 1575.2n
Again you are using g twice. a= -1.7 so either 88*9.8- 88*1.7 or 88(9.8- 1.7).

i know a and c can't make sense because they are worked the same way and c is greater b. c should be less than b

am i using the formula wrong?
"a" is the acceleration of the elevator as given. You do not add 9.8 to that to get a.

thank you my friend.

Related to Weight on an elevator question torturing me

1. What is the weight on an elevator?

The weight on an elevator refers to the total amount of force exerted on the elevator by all objects inside, including passengers, furniture, and any other items.

2. How is the weight on an elevator calculated?

The weight on an elevator is calculated by adding together the weight of all objects inside the elevator and accounting for the force of gravity.

3. Does the weight on an elevator change?

Yes, the weight on an elevator can change depending on the number and weight of objects inside. For example, the weight on an elevator will increase as more passengers enter and decrease as they exit.

4. Why does the weight on an elevator matter?

The weight on an elevator is important for ensuring the safety and proper functioning of the elevator. Elevators have a maximum weight capacity and exceeding this limit can lead to malfunctions or accidents.

5. Can the weight on an elevator affect its speed?

Yes, the weight on an elevator can impact its speed. A heavier weight will require more energy for the elevator to move, potentially resulting in a slower speed. This is why elevators often have weight limits for optimal performance.