Weight of system: water container and rock

In summary, the weight on the scale in case #1, where the rock is placed on top of the lid of a water-filled container, and case #2, where the rock is placed inside the water container and sinks to the bottom, is the same. However, if the rock is suspended from a force meter while submerged in the water, the weight on the scale will be less due to the addition of the buoyancy force acting on the rock. This can be demonstrated using kitchen scales and a force meter.
physickkksss

Homework Statement

Container filled with water is placed on a scale.

case #1 Lid is closed. Rock is placed on top of the lid.

case #2 Rock is placed inside the water container, it sinks to bottom. Lid is closed.

How does the weight (reading on the scale) compare in the two cases?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the weight is the same in the two cases.

But I have done some tricky questions involving buoyancy/weight.water level, and sometimes the answer is not so simple. Once I can confirm this answer, I will post some variants of this situation and try to see where my confusion is.

Physics news on Phys.org
physickkksss said:
I think the weight is the same in the two cases.
You are correct. Any buoyant forces acting on the rock when submerged are internal to the system and will not affect its scale weight.

Homework Statement

Now what if the rock is suspended from a force meter, so that it is under the surface of the water but not on the bottom

(and the string from the force meter goes through a small hole in the lid, so that mass is still there)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think here the weight of the system becomes

W = (Weight of water & container) + Buoyancy force on rock

So the weight on the scale should be less than the two cases before

physickkksss said:
I think here the weight of the system becomes

W = (Weight of water & container) + Buoyancy force on rock

So the weight on the scale should be less than the two cases before
You are correct.

You are correct and this is easy to demonstrate using kitchen scales ( electronic is best)
And a force meter. If you lower the stone into the water you will see the force meter reading decrease and the scales reading increase as you described

Related to Weight of system: water container and rock

1. What is the weight of the water container and rock?

The weight of the water container and rock will depend on the size and material of both objects. To determine the weight, you can use a scale to measure the mass of each object and then add them together to get the total weight.

2. How does the weight of the rock affect the weight of the water container?

The weight of the rock will add to the overall weight of the water container. This is because the weight of an object is determined by its mass, and the mass of an object is the measure of its resistance to acceleration. Therefore, the more mass an object has, the more weight it will have.

3. Does the weight of the water container and rock change if they are placed in water?

Yes, the weight of the water container and rock will change when they are placed in water. This is because objects placed in water experience buoyancy, which is an upward force exerted by the water on the object. This buoyant force will reduce the overall weight of the objects in water.

4. Is the weight of the water container and rock affected by gravity?

Yes, the weight of the water container and rock is affected by gravity. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth, and it is responsible for the weight of objects. The weight of an object will be greater or lesser depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on it.

5. How can the weight of the water container and rock be measured accurately?

The weight of the water container and rock can be measured accurately by using a calibrated scale. This will ensure that the measurements are precise and consistent. It is also important to take into account any external factors, such as air buoyancy or gravitational variations, that may affect the weight measurement.