Weight of air on a piece of paper

In summary, the weight of air on a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper at sea level can be calculated by understanding that atmospheric pressure is 14.7 lb/in2 at sea level. To solve this problem, it is important to pay attention to dimensions and keep units consistent throughout all calculations. This will help to identify any potential mistakes and ensure that the final answer has the correct units.
ztf24

Homework Statement

-[/B]
What is the weight of air on a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper? Assume you're at sea level.

Homework Equations

[/B]
None.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is atmospheric pressure is 14.7 lb/in2 at sea level. I have no idea how to go about calculating this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
ztf24 said:
All I know is atmospheric pressure is 14.7 lb/in2 at sea level. I have no idea how to go about calculating this problem.
Did you even consider the units you wrote for pressure? What do they mean?

Paying close attention to the dimensions, is often all you need to figure out a likely formula. I keep the units through all calculations when working through a problem. It helps to show up mistakes that could be made (like dividing instead of multiplying, or maybe I forgot to square something). The answer will have the wrong units, then I will know that I need to go back and fix something.

Related to Weight of air on a piece of paper

What is the weight of air on a piece of paper?

The weight of air on a piece of paper is typically negligible and difficult to measure accurately. However, the weight of the atmosphere pressing down on the paper is about 14.7 pounds per square inch, or 10,000 newtons per square meter.

How does the weight of air affect a piece of paper?

The weight of air exerts pressure on the surface of the paper, which can cause it to bend or move. However, the weight of air is typically not enough to significantly affect the paper's position or shape.

Is the weight of air on a piece of paper different at different altitudes?

Yes, the weight of air on a piece of paper changes with altitude. As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense and the weight decreases. This is why it is easier to breathe at sea level than at high altitudes.

Can the weight of air on a piece of paper be measured?

Technically, yes, the weight of air on a piece of paper can be measured using specialized equipment. However, it is usually too small to be accurately measured and is not a commonly performed experiment.

Does the weight of air on a piece of paper change with temperature?

Yes, the weight of air on a piece of paper changes with temperature. As air gets warmer, it expands and becomes less dense, resulting in a decrease in weight. The opposite is true for colder temperatures, where the air becomes more dense and the weight increases.