Weight Distribution on a Table

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations needed to predict weight distribution on a square rigid table. These equations include the weight being equal to the sum of forces at each leg, as well as moments in the x and y axes. The individual distances from each leg to the weight are also considered. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try solving the problem by making the sides of the table parallel to the x and y axes, and taking moments about the four table edges.
aaron94116
Hello,
I'm new to statics and currently working on a project where I will be placing a weight on a square rigid table at arbitrary locations, Point (x,y), and need to come up with equations to predict the weight distribution about the four legs. The weight of the table will be left out or be considered 0, so it is just the weight placed on the table that needs to be taken into account.
So far I have:

W = L1 + L2 + L3 + L4 (Weight is equal to the sum of the forces at each leg.)
L1 x1 + L2 x2 + L3 x3 + L4 x4 = 0 (moment in x-axis)
L1 y1 + L2 y2 + L3 y3 + L4 y4= 0 (moment in y-axis)

I'm considering x1, x2, y1, y2... to be the distance from the leg to the x or y point of the weight.
This is where I'm stuck and again, I'm new to statics so please correct me if my assumptions so far are incorrect.
I believe I need a fourth equation to solve for the L's but other than that I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaron94116 said:
I'm considering x1, x2, y1, y2... to be the distance from the leg to the x or y point of the weight.
Then express them in terms of x & y.

Try doing this problem by making the sides of the table parallel to the x and y axes, and putting the center of the tabletop at the origin. Let L be the length of a side of the table. Try taking moments about the four table edges.

1. How does weight distribution affect the stability of a table?

The weight distribution on a table is directly related to its stability. If the weight is evenly distributed across all legs of the table, it will be more stable and less likely to wobble or tip over. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, such as if one leg is bearing more weight than the others, the table will be more prone to instability and may even collapse.

2. Can the placement of objects on a table affect its weight distribution?

Yes, the placement of objects on a table can greatly affect its weight distribution. Placing heavier objects closer to the center of the table will distribute the weight more evenly, while placing them on one side or corner may cause the table to become unbalanced. It is important to consider the weight and placement of objects when setting them on a table to maintain stability.

3. How does the shape of a table affect its weight distribution?

The shape of a table can greatly impact its weight distribution. Tables with four legs, such as a rectangular or square table, distribute weight more evenly than tables with only three legs, such as a triangular table. Additionally, tables with a wider base will typically have better weight distribution and stability than those with a narrow base.

4. What factors can cause uneven weight distribution on a table?

Several factors can contribute to uneven weight distribution on a table. These may include placing heavy objects on one side of the table, having a damaged or uneven table leg, or uneven flooring beneath the table. It is important to regularly check and adjust the weight distribution on a table to prevent damage or collapse.

5. How can I improve the weight distribution on a table?

To improve the weight distribution on a table, you can try redistributing objects on the table to more evenly distribute the weight. If the table legs are uneven, you can use furniture pads or shims to level them out. Additionally, choosing a table with a wider base or more legs can also help improve weight distribution and stability.