Weighing a Salmon in an Elevator: What's the Apparent Weight?

In summary, the problem involves finding the apparent weight of a 5.0kg salmon in an elevator under different conditions: at rest, moving upward at 2.5 m/s2, and moving downward at 3.2 m/s2. The equations used are sum of forces = 0, F = ma, and F(t) = W, where W is the weight of the salmon. The solution requires finding the tension force in the elevator under each condition.
Snowflake9

Homework Statement

A 5.0kg salmon is weighed by hanging it from a fish scale attached to the ceiling of an elevator. What is the apparent weight of the salmon if the elevator is (a) at rest, (b) moving upward at 2.5 m/s2, and (c) moving downward at 3.2 m/s2?

Homework Equations

Sum of F = 0
F(t) - W = 0
F(t) = W

Sum of F = Ma
F(t) - W = Ma (W=mg)

F(t)<W Sum of F = Ma
W- F(t) = Ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i have trouble thinking out of the box to get the problem started. this is my very first time ever taking physics and i have not had a math or science class in a year. can anyone help me get started?! I would appreciate any help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1, you are correct. Parts 2 & 3 you have to correct formula, use F=ma. Part 2 you should get the correct answer which should be greater than the static weight. I can't tell if part 3 is a trick question since I believe that would make your "tension force" in the other direction i.e. a compression force and a rope can't carry compression...

brain fart..on part 3 since the acceleration is less than gravity you would still need a tension force up.

thank you for the response!

I understand that the apparent weight of an object is the force exerted on it by a supporting surface, such as a scale, in order to keep it in equilibrium. In this case, the salmon is being suspended by the fish scale attached to the ceiling of the elevator.

In order to solve this problem, we must first consider the forces acting on the salmon. The only two forces acting on the salmon are its weight, which is the force due to gravity pulling it down, and the normal force, which is the force exerted by the scale to support the salmon's weight.

When the elevator is at rest, the salmon is in equilibrium and the sum of forces acting on it is zero. This means that the normal force must be equal in magnitude to the weight of the salmon, which is given as 5.0kg. Therefore, the apparent weight of the salmon in this case is also 5.0kg.

When the elevator is moving upward at 2.5 m/s^2, the salmon is experiencing an acceleration in the same direction as its weight. This means that the normal force must be greater than the weight in order to keep the salmon in equilibrium. Using the equation F(t) - W = Ma, we can solve for the normal force, which is the apparent weight of the salmon in this case. Plugging in the given values, we get F(t) = (5.0kg)(9.8m/s^2) + (5.0kg)(2.5m/s^2) = 58.5N. Therefore, the apparent weight of the salmon when the elevator is moving upward is 58.5N.

Similarly, when the elevator is moving downward at 3.2 m/s^2, the salmon is experiencing an acceleration in the opposite direction of its weight. This means that the normal force must be less than the weight in order to keep the salmon in equilibrium. Using the equation F(t) - W = Ma, we can solve for the normal force, which is the apparent weight of the salmon in this case. Plugging in the given values, we get F(t) = (5.0kg)(9.8m/s^2) - (5.0kg)(3.2m/s^2) = 36.0N. Therefore, the apparent weight of the salmon when the elevator is moving downward is 36.0N.

Related to Weighing a Salmon in an Elevator: What's the Apparent Weight?

What is the purpose of weighing a salmon in an elevator?

The purpose of weighing a salmon in an elevator is to investigate the concept of apparent weight. Apparent weight is the weight that an object appears to have when it is in a state of motion or when it is affected by external forces such as acceleration or buoyancy. By weighing a salmon in an elevator, we can observe how the apparent weight of the salmon changes as the elevator moves up or down.

How is the apparent weight of a salmon affected by being weighed in an elevator?

The apparent weight of a salmon in an elevator is affected by the acceleration of the elevator. When the elevator is moving up, the salmon will experience an increase in its apparent weight due to the added force of acceleration. Conversely, when the elevator is moving down, the salmon's apparent weight will decrease due to the decrease in acceleration.

What is the relationship between the weight of the salmon and its apparent weight in an elevator?

The weight of the salmon will remain constant regardless of its apparent weight in an elevator. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and this force does not change unless the mass of the object changes. However, the apparent weight of the salmon will vary depending on the external forces acting on it in the elevator.

How can we calculate the apparent weight of the salmon in an elevator?

The apparent weight of the salmon in an elevator can be calculated using the formula W = mg + ma, where W is the apparent weight, m is the mass of the salmon, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the elevator. By plugging in the known values, we can determine the apparent weight of the salmon at different points during the elevator's motion.

What other factors may affect the apparent weight of the salmon in an elevator?

Apart from the acceleration of the elevator, other factors that may affect the apparent weight of the salmon include the density and viscosity of the air inside the elevator, as well as any external forces such as wind or vibrations. These factors may cause slight variations in the apparent weight of the salmon, but the overall concept of apparent weight remains the same.