Weekend Assignment sheet - question

• Thread starter mike_302
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the question involves an observer located at an unknown distance from a cannon and a cannonball fired at 425 m/s. The sound is heard 0.20s after the cannonball passes the observer. Using the equations speed = distance * time and the speed of sound being 345 m/s, the solution can be found by setting two equations equal to each other and solving for time, then plugging that value back into the original equations to find the distance between the cannon and the observer.
mike_302
Weekend Assignment sheet -- question

Homework Statement

An observer is located at a unknown distance away from a cannon. A cannonball is fired from the cannon at 425 m/s. If the cannonball goes past the observer 0.20s before the sound is heard, how far away is the cannon from the observer.

Homework Equations

speed= distance * time ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin on this one. I can SEE that SOMEHOW you are comparing the two speeds to tell how far the SOUND went while the cannonball was travelling, but I don't have a very clear idea of how to answer this one in my head. I don't necessarily want the answer to this as much as I do the way to go about finding it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
were you given the speed of sound?

OH! Jeeze... Yes, I forgot that part, 345 m/s.. SORRY! :S lol
that was the ONLY sentence I was missing... "The speed of sound is 345 m/s"

mike_302 said:
OH! Jeeze... Yes, I forgot that part, 345 m/s.. SORRY! :S lol
that was the ONLY sentence I was missing... "The speed of sound is 345 m/s"
Ok, so look again at your relevant equation. It's mixed up a bit.
Once you correct it, set up 2 equations, one using the speed of sound, the other using the speed of the cannonball, and note that the sound is heard 0.2 seconds after the cannonball whizzes by the observer in time 't'.

345*(tsound)=d
425*(tcannonball)=d
tcannonball=tsound+.2s or tsound=tcannonball-.2s

This is what I'm understanding but... Struggling to piece together. Am I on the right track? Can you point me in the right direction with these equations if I am? Thanks... I'll get this!, just with a little help required.

mike_302 said:
345*(tsound)=d
425*(tcannonball)=d
tcannonball=tsound+.2s or tsound=tcannonball-.2s

This is what I'm understanding but... Struggling to piece together. Am I on the right track? Can you point me in the right direction with these equations if I am? Thanks... I'll get this!, just with a little help required.
You are on track...but which takes longer to reach the observer, the sound or the cannonball? Mind your plus and minus signs, they'll wear you down if you don't. Then can you solve the 2 equations with 2 unknowns?

wow.. this is proving to be further out of my reach than I can handle... can someone possibly go one step further and provide the equations I need in order to complete this, and how I would use them together (I can do the actual math at that point).

I know this is an assignment and all but... At this point, I am much more intrigued at the theory behind answering this question than anything so... Thanks for your help so far! Hope to hear back soon.

I have these two equations but I don't know how correct they are:

345*(t+0.20)=d which is equal to 345t+69=d
425*t=d

Last edited:
I believe they are correct. Now, since the distance 'd' for both equations is the same, i.e. d = d, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for 't'.

345*t + 69 = 425*t

To be sure you have it correct, after you solve for 't', put that answer back in the original equations, and the solution 'd' should be equal.

Good luck.

HA! wow! that was silly of me. How didn't I notice that and put them together. Thanks for your help! appreciate it.

ya.. ha, i just noticd that... thanks. annnd it worked out.. thanks very much for your help! I guess I had the right idea mathematically, but i was too sily to see that last little piece.. d=d ... This site is DEFIANTELY friendly and helpful
thanks all

Related to Weekend Assignment sheet - question

1. What is a "Weekend Assignment sheet - question"?

A "Weekend Assignment sheet - question" is a document that outlines the tasks or projects that need to be completed over the course of a weekend. This could be for a class, work, or personal goals.

2. How is a "Weekend Assignment sheet - question" different from a regular assignment?

A "Weekend Assignment sheet - question" is specifically designed to be completed over the course of a weekend, whereas a regular assignment may have a longer timeline. Weekend assignments also tend to be more focused and concise, as they are meant to be completed in a shorter amount of time.

3. What should be included in a "Weekend Assignment sheet - question"?

A "Weekend Assignment sheet - question" should include a clear description of the tasks or projects to be completed, any necessary materials or resources, and a timeline or due date for completion. It may also include additional instructions or guidelines for completing the assignment.

4. How should I approach a "Weekend Assignment sheet - question"?

It's important to carefully read and understand the instructions provided in the "Weekend Assignment sheet - question". Make a plan for completing the tasks, and be sure to utilize your time effectively. It may also be helpful to break the tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and prioritize them based on importance or due date.

5. What are the benefits of completing a "Weekend Assignment sheet - question"?

Completing a "Weekend Assignment sheet - question" can help improve time management skills, increase productivity, and provide a sense of accomplishment. It can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as prepare for future assignments or projects with tighter deadlines.