Weather Balloon Question: Calculating Acceleration, Velocity, and Net Force

In summary, the weather balloon with instruments attached has a mass of 5.0kg and experiences an upward force of 98 N when released. The acceleration of the balloon and instruments is 19.6 m/s2. After 10 seconds of acceleration, the instruments are released and the acceleration becomes 9.8 m/s2. The net force acting on the instruments is 49 N and the velocity of the instruments at this point is 98 m/s. The direction of the instruments' velocity first becomes downward after 10 seconds.
ahrog
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing physics through correspondents, so I have nobody to explain this kind of thing to me.

Homework Statement

The instruments attached to a weather balloon have a mass of 5.0kg.
a) The balloon is released and exerts an upward force of 98 N on the instruments. What is the acceleration of the balloon and the instruments.
b) After the balloon has accelerated for 10 seconds, the instruments are released. What is the acceleration of the balloon and the instruments?
c) What net force acts on the instruments after their release?
d) When does the direction of their velocity first become downward?

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=mg
V=d/t
A= (vf-vi)/t or A=F/m
(I cannot think of any others needed...)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
a=F/M
a= 98N/5.0kg
a= 19.6 m/s2

b)v=d/t
v=0/0
v=0m/s2
This part confused me. Do I get the current velocity of the balloon, and that is the velocity of the instruments at the moment of their release? Or do I have to figure out how fast the balloon got after 10s of acceleration, then use that number for the velocity?

c) W=mg
W=(50kg)(9.80m/s2)
W=490 N

d) I'm not sure how to even attempt this part. How do I go about doing this part? Or do I only answer in a sentence?

Physics news on Phys.org
ahrog said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing physics through correspondents, so I have nobody to explain this kind of thing to me.

Homework Statement

The instruments attached to a weather balloon have a mass of 5.0kg.
a) The balloon is released and exerts an upward force of 98 N on the instruments. What is the acceleration of the balloon and the instruments.
b) After the balloon has accelerated for 10 seconds, the instruments are released. What is the acceleration of the balloon and the instruments?
c) What net force acts on the instruments after their release?
d) When does the direction of their velocity first become downward?

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=mg
V=d/t
A= (vf-vi)/t or A=F/m
(I cannot think of any others needed...)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
a=F/M
a= 98N/5.0kg
a= 19.6 m/s2
It's [tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]. What's [tex] F_{net} [/tex]?
b)v=d/t
v=0/0
v=0m/s2
This part confused me. Do I get the current velocity of the balloon, and that is the velocity of the instruments at the moment of their release? Or do I have to figure out how fast the balloon got after 10s of acceleration, then use that number for the velocity?
You want the velocity of the balloon and the instruments, i believe, not the acceleration as your problem states. Velocity, time, and acceleration are related by a basic kinematic equation of motion.
c) W=mg
W=(50kg)(9.80m/s2)
W=490 N
of course you mean 5(9.8) = 49N.
d) I'm not sure how to even attempt this part. How do I go about doing this part? Or do I only answer in a sentence?
It's looking for the time it takes for the instruments to move up at release, and come to a stop, before now changing direction and falling down. It's the kinematic equations again.

a) I'm pretty sure I did this one right. I needed acceleration, so I changed around the F=ma question. Would Fnet be just the 98 N the balloon exerts, or do I have to subtract gravity and the weight of the instruments from that?

b) So find the velocity of the entire thing, balloon and instruments, even though they have just been released?

c)That's what I meant, I accidentally added a zero.

d) What equation would I use for that?

ahrog said:
a) I'm pretty sure I did this one right. I needed acceleration, so I changed around the F=ma question. Would Fnet be just the 98 N the balloon exerts, or do I have to subtract gravity and the weight of the instruments from that?
the lift force is 98 up; the gravity or weight force is 49n down. The net force is not 98.
b) So find the velocity of the entire thing, balloon and instruments, even though they have just been released?
Yes! Once you get the correct acceleration, how fast is the thing going after 10 seconds?
c)That's what I meant, I accidentally added a zero.
cool, I'll buy it.
d) What equation would I use for that?
the initial speed you get from part b. The final speed at the top of the instrumnet's ascent is zero (that'a when they start to fall down). What is the acceleration of the instuments now that the balloon is out of the picture (think about gravity and the acceleration of gravity).

a) Okay, for that I got 9.8 m/s2 of acceleration.

b) The velocity is 98 m/s.
c) The net force is 49 N.
d) And the time would be 10 seconds.

Do these sound right to you?

Related to Weather Balloon Question: Calculating Acceleration, Velocity, and Net Force

1. What is a weather balloon?

A weather balloon is a type of balloon used to carry meteorological instruments into the atmosphere to gather data about weather patterns and conditions. They are typically made of latex or synthetic rubber and can reach altitudes of up to 40 km.

2. How do weather balloons work?

Weather balloons are filled with helium or hydrogen gas, which is less dense than the surrounding air, causing the balloon to rise. As the balloon ascends, it carries instruments that measure temperature, humidity, air pressure, and wind speed and direction. The data is then transmitted back to the ground via radio signals.

3. Why are weather balloons important for weather forecasting?

Weather balloons provide valuable data about the atmosphere, including temperature, humidity, and wind conditions at different altitudes. This data is used by meteorologists to create weather models and make more accurate predictions about future weather patterns.

4. What happens to a weather balloon after it is launched?

As a weather balloon ascends, it expands due to the decreasing air pressure. Eventually, the balloon will reach a point where it can no longer expand and will burst. The instruments attached to the balloon will then fall to the ground, where they are usually retrieved by a parachute.

5. How often are weather balloons launched?

Weather balloons are typically launched twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. However, in areas with severe weather, they may be launched more frequently to gather more data. Some locations also launch weather balloons on a continuous basis to monitor changes in the atmosphere.