Weak interaction - conservation laws

In summary, the conversation revolves around discussing the conservations and violations of the weak interaction. The participants mention various properties such as parity, charge, lepton number, and weak isospin. They also clarify that they do not want any mathematical explanations, but one of them later allows the use of equations. The conversation ends with one participant referring to a previous post that may have answered their questions about weak isospin.
Hoof47
Hi, i just need to get together all the conservations/violations that the weak interaction conserves/violates. I know about parity, charge conjugation and basic properties such as charge and lepton number but i was wandering if anybody could think of any more. No mathematics please! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please say if you can't.

I just found out about weak isospin - could someone tell me more about it!

Like how do you define weak isospin?

Are its equations the same as normal isospin - but with a slight difference?

What is it?!

(You can now use mathematics but I am not an expert so I might not be able to understand everything!)

Last edited:

Related to Weak interaction - conservation laws

What is the weak interaction?

The weak interaction is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong nuclear force. It is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in the nuclear reactions that power the sun and other stars.

What are the conservation laws associated with the weak interaction?

The weak interaction is governed by three conservation laws: conservation of electric charge, conservation of lepton number, and conservation of baryon number. These laws state that the total charge, number of leptons, and number of baryons must remain constant in any weak interaction process.

How does the weak interaction violate parity symmetry?

The weak interaction is the only fundamental force that violates parity symmetry, which means that it does not behave the same way under a mirror reflection. This was first observed in the decay of certain particles, which were found to preferentially decay in one direction over the other.

What is the role of the Higgs boson in the weak interaction?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that was predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics and was discovered in 2012. It is responsible for giving particles their mass, including the W and Z bosons that mediate the weak interaction.

How is the weak interaction related to the concept of chirality?

Chirality is a property of particles that describes their handedness or spin direction. The weak interaction is sensitive to this property and can cause particles to change from one chirality to another. This is known as weak interaction chirality violation and is responsible for the different masses of particles and antiparticles.