Why does light appear to slow down in different mediums?

In summary, the speed of light is a constant, "c", regardless of the medium it travels through. The perceived slowing down of light in a medium is actually due to the delay caused by the absorption and re-emission of the light by atoms in the medium. This delay gives the illusion of light being slowed down, but in reality, it always travels at "c".
nautica
Speed of Light?

Would someone clear up the speed of light? Is it dependent on the medium in which it travels, or not? Depending on what you read. It says that light always travels at "c". Or it can be slowed down "refracted" depending on the medium.

Nautica

Science news on Phys.org
The speed of light is always a constant irrespective of the frame of reference or medium. The apparent slowing down of light due to refraction is due to the fact that the atoms inside the medium absorb the light and then emit the light after some time delay. This time delay in the transmission of light across the medium gives a feeling that light has been slowed down by the medium!. So as you see, light never travels wit a speed < or > c. It infact travels at c irrespective of where it is headed for, or who makes the measurement, or the medium in which it is traveling in.

Understood?

Sridhar

so it does not in fact slow down at all? only delayed? then wud tht not be slowing down?

Take your choice. The crucial point of relativity is that the speed of light in vacuum is constant irrespective of the frame of reference.

From a macro point of view, light is slowed down by passing through matter. From a micro point of view, light travels at c from atom to atom and what we perceive as slowing down is the slight delay when light is absorbed and then retransmitted by atoms.

thanks for that.
but if someone asks me does light slow down in a different medium i say...

but if someone asks me does light slow down in a different i say...
... you say that "Yes light is slowed down by the medium as perceived by us at the macro level - However what actually happens is like ...(the previous explanation given that the apparent slowing of light due to delayed transmission of light through the medium) "

Sridhar

thanks people

Originally posted by FUNKER
... if someone asks me does light slow down in a different medium i say...
Ask that person what they mean by "light."

And, of course, require that they define "slow down"!

The reason refraction made sense to me was that as light entered a denser medium its speed decreased and due to its frequency remaining the same the wave length also decreased, balancing the equation c=f.<lambda>. This change in wavelength was then responsible for the change in direction:

refraction.gif

Why should refraction exist if the delay is due to light is being transmitted from atom to atom? If this were the case I would expect light to emerge from a medium on a random vector.

Originally posted by MisterBig
Why should refraction exist if the delay is due to light is being transmitted from atom to atom? If this were the case I would expect light to emerge from a medium on a random vector.
That sounds like a good question to me. My guess would be that, since momentum is conserved, even when a photon is absorbed, the momentum still exists, so there is some preference to emit a photon with that momentum. That's just a guess, though.

Now I got to thinking, about the wavelength. Is the wavelength truly shorter in a higher index of refraction? Or do we just use the shorter wavelength as a pseudo wavelength to do calculations? I guess the first question I should ask: can the light in a refractive medium be coherrent? I've seen laser light in air, but I'm talking about significant refraction. Is laser light coherrent in water?

Originally posted by FUNKER
so it does not in fact slow down at all? only delayed? then wud tht not be slowing down?

Look at it this way: A photon hits a flat piece of glass head on. The photon is absorbed by a particular atom, then after a very brief time, is re-emmited. It is directed to the next atom which does the same thing and so on until it exits the glass.
The photon emmited and re-emmited always is going the speed of light. But, the CUMULATIVE time delay of all the atoms involved in absorbtion and re-emmission accounts for the apparent, but NOT REAL, slowing down of the photon itself.

What is the Speed of Light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

Why is the Speed of Light Important?

The speed of light is important because it is a fundamental aspect of the laws of physics and has numerous practical applications. It is a key component in many equations and theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as astronomy, optics, and telecommunications.

How Was the Speed of Light First Measured?

The first known measurement of the speed of light was conducted in 1676 by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer. He observed the eclipses of the moons of Jupiter and noticed that the time between eclipses varied depending on the distance between Earth and Jupiter, which he attributed to the finite speed of light.

Is the Speed of Light Constant?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant in a vacuum and is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is a universal constant and cannot be exceeded.

What Would Happen if an Object Could Travel at the Speed of Light?

If an object were able to travel at the speed of light, it would experience time dilation, meaning time would appear to slow down for the object relative to an outside observer. Additionally, the object's mass would increase to infinity, making it impossible to reach the speed of light. This concept is known as the "Twin Paradox" and has been confirmed through experiments with high-speed particles.