Need a mecanical generator for experimentation.

• Thread starter mzr99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, a manual generator that is small, modular, and affordable is desired. An electric motor, such as a piezo motor or stepper motor, can be used as a generator with the addition of diodes and capacitors. A small DC permanent magnet motor is also a simple and cost-effective option for preliminary experiments.
mzr99
I need a manual generator.

(i.e.: A gadget that generates electricity by using some mechanical energy).

It has to be small - but not miniature.

Also, I need it (if possible) modular, so one can attach other devices to it (to provide it with the mechanical energy)

I would like it not to be too expensive.

I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance.
[al]

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any electric motor is also a generator.

Thank you.

hmm I've just browsed about "Piezo Motor" really tiny about 1mm x 1mm x 6mm

A really handy generator is a stepper motor. Common DC motors require a fairly high RPM to produce a reasonable voltage, but a stepper motor with a handle will get you there with reasonably slow hand cranking.

Stepper motors are all over the surplus market for as little as a few dollars. I fabbed up a crank for stepper which drove small incandescent lamps for a kid's science fair project. Worked great.

Just remember, it puts out AC voltage, so it will need diodes and maybe some capacitors to get it into a usable DC voltage.

- Mike

The stepper motor is a good idea but a small DC permanent magnet motor is a simple machine to do some preliminary experiments. You can get them out of old toys or stuff around the house, or buy them pretty cheap too. You can turn it with a variable speed drill and note the voltage increase at higher rpm, and do measurments with an rpm sensor and voltmeter.

1. What is a mechanical generator?

A mechanical generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a rotating shaft, magnets, and wire coils to generate electricity through electromagnetic induction.

2. How does a mechanical generator work?

A mechanical generator works by using a source of mechanical energy, such as a hand crank or a turbine, to rotate a shaft connected to a set of magnets. As the magnets rotate, they create a changing magnetic field, which induces an electrical current in the wire coils surrounding the magnets.

3. What types of experiments can be conducted with a mechanical generator?

A mechanical generator can be used in a variety of experiments, such as studying electrical circuits, testing the efficiency of different generator designs, or exploring the principles of renewable energy sources.

4. What are the benefits of using a mechanical generator in experimentation?

Using a mechanical generator allows for hands-on exploration of electricity and energy concepts, providing a tangible and interactive learning experience. It also allows for the testing and improvement of generator designs for practical applications.

5. How do I choose the right mechanical generator for my experiments?

The right mechanical generator for your experiments will depend on your specific needs and goals. Consider factors such as power output, size, and cost when selecting a generator. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or do some research to determine the best fit for your experiments.