Reaching Type One Civilization: Predictions and Possibilities

• Thread starter Astrophysics
  • Start date
In summary: but they are so much more intelligent that they consider us as "barbaric uniteresting animals" and they feel that they shouldn't waste theire time with us humans who only think of destruction and power.
Future it will be beauty enough

Future, it is a bigger ideal in a goodwell men, whenever by works and to compete with war, naturely, future it will be beauty enough.
Nature, the action will be down this beauty dream , perhaps in some another wise development in another stars.
Dream , beauty and totem for to peace in nature and another wise and relation well in another stars.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using 20,000, the number of stars reached after 100 million years would be (max) 219,999. That's rather more than the number of baryons in the universe.

I did 2 to the 100th power and the figure was 39,614,081,257,132,168,796,771,971,975,168 which is 39 nonillion, 614 octillion, 081 septillion, 257 sextillion, 132 quintillion, 168 quadrillion, 796 trillion, 771 billion, 971 million, 975 thousand, 168.

and that's only to the 100th power... I can't imagine 2 to the 19,999th power. don't think there's a computer powerful enough today to calculate to that number.

Mersenne primes

Running in background mode on my PC is a program called Prime95. Along with thousands of others, I am trying to find the next Mersenne prime. We do this by running this small program; while it's not a screen-saver, the principle is very similar to Seti@Home, which is used by millions to look for signals from ET.

The largest Mersenne prime found so far - not by my computer :frown: - is 213466917-1, the 39th such prime. I see that a possible 40th has been found (also not by me), and is now being verified.

Clearly my humble PC can handle numbers much larger than 220000, and I've no doubt yours can too.

More on Mersenne primes and the grid computing search: http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

Originally posted by Nereid
If baryonic matter comprises but 4% of the Universe, aren't we then just the pond scum?

Perhaps all the real aliens are made of dark matter, or even dark energy? Perhaps we aren't where the action is at all! Maybe there are billions of Type III analogue civilisations in the dark matter halos of galaxy clusters, all communicating via a CDMA-like encoding of neutrino streams, and tapping into dark energy for sustenance.

I agree with you here, Nereid, and practically all the time. But would it be possible you have been reading too much Philip K. Dick novels?

Dark energy is hardly science fiction, although no less intriguing and full of mystery for being real science. To give you a little benefit.

IF they even are composited and composed of dark energy where would -- (I'm not sure if I can even comprehend this), where would or how would the beings oppose the self-attraction of matter and causes the expansion of the universe to accelerate? How could they even live on any suitable environment and what would their planet even consist of in elements?

Made of dark energy, they wouldn't be planet dwellers, but woul live in outer space. Probably their scale would be far from ours - either vast in intergalactic space or tiny in other parts. Speaking of sf writers, Greg Egan's novel Shild's Ladder has a portrait of life like this.

maybe it's seagreen meta-neutrino-ware!

Jeebus, SelfAdjoint -> I must make an effort to read more scifi

There are surely many, many flaws with my crazy ideas :frown: However, they might have some value as metaphors; if not 'dark energy', how about 'seagreen meta-neutrino-ware' (which won't even be conceived of for another 5,000 years)?

The wise palace advisor to the Yellow Emperor (who died over 5,000 years ago now), Archimedes, Newton, Maxwell and Gauss (even Einstein? ) could all have had not the slightest inkling of 'dark energy', so who knows what cutting edge physics will be into 5,000 years from now? :smile:

I think Einstein understood all too well about the effects of a Cosmological constant. Recall that he had it in his original equations because they predicted an expanding universe without it, so he very carefully balanced what we would today call negative dark energy to keep the universe static is it was thought to be at that time. When Hubbel later showed the universe to be expanding he dropped the constant, calling it his biggest mistake.

Einstein liked to play around with his equations to see what they would do, and I am sure he discovered the accelerative properties of a positive dark energy. He would probably just have chuckled and circular filed those calculations, for who could believe such a folly as a runaway accelerating growth to the universe.

'greatest blunder' - not?

I remembered the 'greatest blunder' comment, but hadn't thought through what must have gone before in order for the comment to have been made in the first place (and certainly I didn't to any research ). So it's clear that Einstein wouldn't have found 'dark energy' alien.

Originally posted by Nereid
If baryonic matter comprises but 4% of the Universe, aren't we then just the pond scum?

Perhaps all the real aliens are made of dark matter, or even dark energy? Perhaps we aren't where the action is at all! Maybe there are billions of Type III analogue civilisations in the dark matter halos of galaxy clusters, all communicating via a CDMA-like encoding of neutrino streams, and tapping into dark energy for sustenance.

In the Great Shapley Supercluster Library, there is a one paragraph entry (in a dusty tome, on a high shelf, in one of the 25 billion 'back buildings' rarely visited) describing a curious observation about a barely detectable deviation from thermodynamic equilibrium of some mote in the baryonic part of a minor galaxy in the outer regions of the Virgo cluster; the para concludes (translation) "probably just another observational error"

Fo shizzle me nizzle

<h2>1. What is a Type One civilization?</h2><p>A Type One civilization is a hypothetical advanced society that has achieved mastery over its home planet. This means that they have harnessed and utilized all of the energy resources available to them on their planet, such as solar, wind, and geothermal energy.</p><h2>2. How do we measure a civilization's progress towards becoming a Type One civilization?</h2><p>The Kardashev scale is used to measure a civilization's progress towards becoming a Type One civilization. It was proposed by Russian astrophysicist Nikolai Kardashev and is based on the amount of energy a civilization is able to harness and utilize.</p><h2>3. What are some predictions for when humanity may reach Type One status?</h2><p>There is no definitive timeline for when humanity may reach Type One status, but some predictions suggest that it could happen within the next 100-200 years if we continue to advance technologically and sustainably.</p><h2>4. What are the potential benefits of becoming a Type One civilization?</h2><p>Becoming a Type One civilization would allow us to sustainably utilize the resources on our planet and potentially expand to other planets and solar systems. It could also lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and quality of life for all individuals.</p><h2>5. What are some challenges that may arise in our journey towards becoming a Type One civilization?</h2><p>Some challenges that may arise include finding sustainable energy sources, managing population growth, and addressing social and economic inequalities. We also need to consider the potential impact on the environment and ensure that our advancements are ethical and responsible.</p>

1. What is a Type One civilization?

A Type One civilization is a hypothetical advanced society that has achieved mastery over its home planet. This means that they have harnessed and utilized all of the energy resources available to them on their planet, such as solar, wind, and geothermal energy.

2. How do we measure a civilization's progress towards becoming a Type One civilization?

The Kardashev scale is used to measure a civilization's progress towards becoming a Type One civilization. It was proposed by Russian astrophysicist Nikolai Kardashev and is based on the amount of energy a civilization is able to harness and utilize.

3. What are some predictions for when humanity may reach Type One status?

There is no definitive timeline for when humanity may reach Type One status, but some predictions suggest that it could happen within the next 100-200 years if we continue to advance technologically and sustainably.

4. What are the potential benefits of becoming a Type One civilization?

Becoming a Type One civilization would allow us to sustainably utilize the resources on our planet and potentially expand to other planets and solar systems. It could also lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and quality of life for all individuals.

5. What are some challenges that may arise in our journey towards becoming a Type One civilization?

Some challenges that may arise include finding sustainable energy sources, managing population growth, and addressing social and economic inequalities. We also need to consider the potential impact on the environment and ensure that our advancements are ethical and responsible.