We are using TI-83 to figure out how to make an equation with a word problem. QuadReg

In summary, a manufacturing company wants to know how many additional articles should be produced per week in order to reach the maximum profit point. By analyzing the given information, it can be determined that the profit on each article decreases by 2 cents after 600 units are produced. Using this information, an equation can be formed to represent the profit as a function of the number of articles produced. With some algebraic manipulation, the answer to the problem is found to be 200 additional articles per week.
Seviper

Homework Statement

A manufacturing company finds that it makes a profit of $20.00 on each article if 600 or fewer are made each week. The profit decreased by 2 cents per article over 600. How many additional articles should be produced per week in order to realized the maximum point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

20y - 0.02y

Physics news on Phys.org

Seviper said:

Homework Statement

A manufacturing company finds that it makes a profit of $20.00 on each article if 600 or fewer are made each week. The profit decreased by 2 cents per article over 600. How many additional articles should be produced per week in order to realized the maximum point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

20y - 0.02y

Is y equal the amount of production over 600 units? If so, you should say it, and not assume that the person marking your work is a mind-reader.

Doesn't 20y - 0.02y = 19.98y just keep increasing forever as y increases? Your formula just keeps the profit fixed at $19.98 per unit produced; that is not what the question said.

RGV

Oh, I am confused i just typed EXACTLY what the question said, my teacher probably made a mistake but do you think you could solve it anyway because i have no clue what this means

Seviper said:
Oh, I am confused i just typed EXACTLY what the question said, my teacher probably made a mistake but do you think you could solve it anyway because i have no clue what this means

What the teacher typed is clear and correct. The issue is what YOU typed, which is incorrect. And, yes, I can solve it, but the point is for YOU to solve it, or at least to make a start.

Here are a couple of hints: what it the profit on item 601? What is the profit on item 602? On item 603? Keep going like that, and try to represent the result by a formula.

RGV

Last edited:

i Know how to do that, but it takes a long time. how do i make the equation

Seviper said:
i Know how to do that, but it takes a long time. how do i make the equation
I asked you three questions (about items 601, 602 and 603). What are your answers?

As for getting an equation: that is the problem you need to solve. I am not allowed to give any more hints; it is up to you now.

RGV

Last edited:

EUREKA, i got it the answer is 200 more because the equ'n is -50x square plus 1600. thank you so much

Seviper said:
That's not the way it works on Physics Forums. From the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380):
Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Last edited:

oh ok, I am sorry today is my first day on this website and this is probably going to be the only time i use it but thank you Mark and Ray

Related to We are using TI-83 to figure out how to make an equation with a word problem. QuadReg

1. What is a TI-83 calculator?

A TI-83 calculator is a graphing calculator designed and manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used in high school and college mathematics courses for solving equations, graphing functions, and performing statistical calculations.

2. How do I use the TI-83 to solve a word problem?

To use the TI-83 calculator to solve a word problem, you will need to input the relevant information and variables into the calculator's equation editor. This can be done by pressing the Y= button and entering the equation. You can then use the QuadReg function to solve for the missing variable in the word problem.

3. What is an equation and why is it important?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. It is important in problem-solving because it allows us to represent real-world situations and find solutions using mathematical operations and formulas.

4. What is the QuadReg function on the TI-83 calculator?

The QuadReg function on the TI-83 calculator is a statistical function that is used to find the best-fit quadratic equation for a set of data. This is useful in solving word problems that involve quadratic equations, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a parabola.

5. Can the TI-83 calculator solve any type of word problem?

No, the TI-83 calculator is limited to solving mathematical equations and cannot solve word problems that involve language-based reasoning or critical thinking. It is important to understand the mathematical concepts behind the word problem and use the calculator as a tool to aid in solving the equation.