Ways to measure the speed of a golf ball?

In summary, the user is looking for a cheap way to measure the speed of a golf ball in a putt putt golf hole and view it in real-time on a PC display. They have considered using a baseball speed radar gun, but are seeking other ideas. One suggestion is to use standard photointerrupters placed along the path of the ball, along with a cheap HD video camera and PC video software. Another option is to use an app such as speedClock. However, these suggestions may not be suitable for any associated assignments.
stuckpipe
Help, I need to find a cheap way to measure the speed of a golf ball in a putt putt type of golf hole and view it in real-time on a PC display? Got any ideas? I thought about using a baseball speed radar gun but thought there must be other good way? Any ideas or have you seen something like this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
stuckpipe said:
Help, I need to find a cheap way to measure the speed of a golf ball in a putt putt type of golf hole and view it in real-time on a PC display? Got any ideas? I thought about using a baseball speed radar gun but thought there must be other good way? Any ideas or have you seen something like this?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you just use standard photointerrupters? Two emitter/detector interruptors placed a foot or two apart along the path of the ball, like where there is a chute only a few feet wide...

There are cheap HD video cameras out there, one I use for fishing has a 30 and 60 frams per second record rate. You might check if some of the PC video software can do a frame by frame view. If you set the interval at 30 frames per second, film a stop watch and check. then set up a tripod and film away. You might want to put down some graduation
marks to measure with.

Apparently there are apps out there that will do this, like speedClock

Dunno if this will suit your purposes, but there may be others out there that do.

oh, this likely defeats the purpose of any assignment that may be associted with the request. Please ignore if that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are a few different ways to measure the speed of a golf ball in a putt putt type of golf hole. One option is to use a launch monitor, which is a device that uses radar or camera technology to measure the speed and trajectory of a golf ball. These can be expensive, but there are some more affordable options available that may work for your needs. Another option is to use a golf swing analyzer, which can also measure the speed of the golf ball as it is struck.

If you are looking for a cheaper option, you could try using a smartphone app that utilizes the phone's camera to track the movement of the golf ball. These apps may not be as accurate as a launch monitor or swing analyzer, but they can still provide a general idea of the speed of the ball. Another option is to use a high-speed camera to record the putt and then analyze the footage to determine the speed of the ball.

Ultimately, the best way to measure the speed of a golf ball will depend on your budget and the level of accuracy you require. I suggest doing some research and reading reviews to find the best option for your specific needs. I have also seen some DIY solutions online using items like a tripwire or a homemade speed trap, but these may not be as reliable or accurate as the other options mentioned.

Related to Ways to measure the speed of a golf ball?

1. How is the speed of a golf ball typically measured?

The speed of a golf ball is typically measured using a launch monitor, which uses radar or camera technology to track the ball's velocity as it is hit by a golfer.

2. Can the speed of a golf ball be measured without a launch monitor?

Yes, the speed of a golf ball can also be measured using a hand-held radar gun or a speed radar device specifically designed for golf.

3. Does the type of club affect the speed of a golf ball?

Yes, the type of club used can greatly affect the speed of a golf ball. For example, a driver is specifically designed for distance and can generate higher ball speeds compared to a putter.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the speed of a golf ball?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the speed of a golf ball, such as wind conditions, surface conditions, and the quality of the launch monitor or radar gun being used.

5. How is the speed of a golf ball important in the game of golf?

The speed of a golf ball is important in determining the distance and trajectory of the shot, which can greatly impact the outcome of a golf game. It is also used to analyze the performance of a golfer and their equipment.