Wayback Machine to the rescue (almost)

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the Wayback Machine allows users to view archived versions of websites from 1996-a few months ago.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last December, my college's Web server crashed because of a hard-disk failure. As I was fiddling with my most recent backup of my own Web pages, I clumsily managed to delete that, too. I had to resort to a much older backup that was missing several pages that I had created since then. I put the missing pages on my "to do" list to re-create, but never got around to doing it.

Just today in a thread elsewhere on PF, someone mentioned the Wayback Machine, which I had forgotten about. I used it to search for my Web site, and voilà, there were the missing pages! :!)

There was just one problem. The pages are part of a large photo gallery, and all the images are in a directory that I've forbidden to Web crawlers via a robots.txt file. (Some people were slurping hundreds of pictures at once, and bogging the server down.) So the Wayback Machine has the Web page text, including the picture captions, but not the images. :cry:

At least I can find the images again in my collection, based on the captions and URLs, but it will take some time to track them down and fix them up in Photoshop again. To make things easier in the future, I've added an entry to robots.txt that allows the Wayback Machine's crawler to fetch my images, while still forbidding other crawlers from doing so.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited:
"About the Wayback Machine:
Browse through 85 billion web pages archived from 1996 to a few months ago. "

"Thank you very much for considering us in your charitable giving. We appreciate and rely on donations from people like yourselves. The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, therefore your donations are tax deductible as allowed by law."

Last edited:

Related to Wayback Machine to the rescue (almost)

1. What is the Wayback Machine?

The Wayback Machine is a digital archive of the World Wide Web, maintained by the Internet Archive. It allows users to browse and access over 330 billion web pages from the past, dating back to 1996.

2. How does the Wayback Machine work?

The Wayback Machine uses web crawlers to collect and store snapshots of web pages at different points in time. Users can enter a URL or search term to access archived versions of websites as they appeared on a specific date.

3. Can the Wayback Machine be used to access any website?

In most cases, yes. However, some websites may have opted out of being archived by the Wayback Machine. Additionally, some content, such as videos or interactive features, may not be fully accessible on archived versions of a website.

4. Is the content on the Wayback Machine accurate and reliable?

The Wayback Machine strives to capture and preserve web content as accurately as possible, but it is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate. Changes or updates to a website after it has been archived may not be reflected in the archived version.

5. How can the Wayback Machine be useful for researchers and historians?

The Wayback Machine provides a valuable resource for researchers and historians to study the evolution of websites and online content. It can also be used to access information that may no longer be available on the current version of a website, such as deleted or outdated content.