WAXS - XRD, calculating the degree of crystalinity

• Thread starter Sancho Panza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Xrd
In summary, the samples of PP were processed differently, leading to different degrees of crystallinity. The measured data was analyzed using the "PeakFit" program and the crystalinity was calculated using the equation X% crystallinity = (area of peaks / whole area)*100. This calculation was also verified using the Origin program.
Sancho Panza

Homework Statement

Hello, I have done WAXS measurement on 3 samples of PP(Polypropylene). These samples are from plates processed by hydraulic pressing, it is the exact same material and the only difference is in postprocessing.
1st. Was immediately cooled in water
2 nd. Was put into another hydraulic press for 5 hrs at 80 °C
3 rd. Was put into dryer for 24 hrs at 140°C
This should lead to the different degrees of crystalinity, which is to be examined from measured data.
I have used program "PeakFit" to analyze, first i subtracted baseline and then created another baseline on 2nd derivation, (1st was linear) and substracted it also. After each subtraction area under curve changed, i used this to calculate degree of crystalinity with equation:

X% crystalinity = (area of peaks / whole area)*100
[area of peaks = area after 2nd baseline subtraction; whole area = area after 1st linear baseline substraction]
I determined that the angle from 7° to 30° is relevant for my calculation

This is graph showing measured data:
XRD.png

Blue is water
Balck is hydraulic press
Red is dryer
Number behind X is crystalinity i have caculated.

I will also upload *.ASC data files, because my question is "Have I done this right, can someone check after me?" I have a feeling that I have missed something.

I know this can be also calculated in Origin, but i am completely lost in that program ( so far i can only make graphs in it ) so if someone would be kind enough to explain to me the calculation in it i would be thankful.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• WAXS.zip
    60 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you've calculated the crystalinity correctly. In Origin, you can calculate the crystalinity in a few ways. My preferred approach would be to use the Fit Peaks function (under the Fitting menu) to determine the areas of each peak. You could also just measure the area directly by selecting the data points (using the Data Cursor tool under the Tools menu) and using the Statistics tool (under the Analysis menu) to measure the area.Once you have the areas of each peak, you can then calculate the percentage crystalinity as you have done before.

Related to WAXS - XRD, calculating the degree of crystalinity

1. What is WAXS - XRD?

WAXS - XRD stands for Wide Angle X-ray Scattering - X-ray Diffraction. It is a technique used to analyze the crystal structures and degree of crystallinity in materials.

2. How is the degree of crystallinity calculated using WAXS - XRD?

The degree of crystallinity is calculated by comparing the intensity of the peaks in the diffraction pattern to a standard. The ratio of the crystalline peak intensity to the total peak intensity gives the degree of crystallinity.

3. What are the benefits of using WAXS - XRD for calculating the degree of crystallinity?

WAXS - XRD is a non-destructive and highly accurate technique for determining the degree of crystallinity in a material. It can also provide information about the crystal structure and orientation of the material.

4. Can WAXS - XRD be used for all types of materials?

Yes, WAXS - XRD can be used for a wide range of materials, including powders, thin films, and fibers. It is particularly useful for materials with crystalline phases, but can also provide information about the amorphous phases present.

5. What is the difference between WAXS and XRD?

WAXS refers to Wide Angle X-ray Scattering, which measures the scattering of X-rays at a wide angle. XRD, on the other hand, stands for X-ray Diffraction and measures the diffraction of X-rays at a specific angle. Both techniques are used for analyzing the crystal structures and degree of crystallinity in materials, but WAXS is better for materials with small crystals or fine structures, while XRD is better for larger crystals or coarse structures.