Wax in my heating system instead of water

In summary: A lot of solid thermal storage products are made from ceramics or other materials with good thermal conductivity.
technicalm
Hi, I'm a heating engineer.

part 1: I typically install 300 litre to 100litres stores of hot water (to be extracted at 40deg c for low temp heating).

I understand that the specific heat capacity of paraffin wax is something like ten times that of water.

So can I play around with a smaller volume of paraffin wax in place of the water. Then, if i ran a long coil of pipe inside the parafin and passed water through it, the water would pull heat from the paraffin.

We do this at the moment with standard water tanks.

part 2: Would there be a difference in the length of the coil (either longer or shorter) if the process is paraffin to water rather than water to water.

Thank you for helping out with this project, it's just something I am interested in and as a non physicist I am probably sounding very naive!

all the best, Matt

Science news on Phys.org
Here are some thoughts. Common waxes melt at about 60C so your system would operate with coils embedded in a solid. Is the specific heat of the solid phase also high? Solidified wax has poor heat conductivity (high thermal resistance) so your coils would pull heat from wax immediately in contact with them but then you'd have trouble drawing heat from the rest of the solid. Maybe if you used a lot of copper fins--like embedding a car radiator in wax? Finally, if you found wax with a 40C melting point, you'd have the additional storage due to the phase change (it's called "heat of fusion"). This is quite large compared to the heat capacity and would permit you to store a lot of energy in a small volume.

marcusl's reply is quite good, I would like to add, that the length of the coil is dependent on the thermal conductivity between the system and the heat bath. If your pipes are made of copper then the outside medium will be the limiting factor in delivering the heat to your pipe, and the length will change if you exchange the medium. If the pipe is made of stainless steel (a bad heat conductor) then the length probably doesn't need to change.

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure where the OP is going with this.
Antifreeze, for example, has a great capacity for heat transfer, and, it's liquid.

If you are looking for thermal storage that's another matter.

I would advise against using wax in your heating system instead of water. While it may have a higher specific heat capacity, paraffin wax is not a suitable substitute for water in a heating system. Water is a much better heat conductor and is able to transfer heat more efficiently than wax. Additionally, using wax in your heating system could potentially cause damage and clogging in your pipes.

In terms of your proposed idea of using a coil of pipe inside the wax to transfer heat to the water, it is possible but not practical. The length of the coil would likely need to be significantly longer than in a standard water-to-water system in order to effectively transfer heat from the wax to the water. This could also lead to increased energy consumption and costs.

I would recommend sticking with the standard practice of using water in your heating system. If you are interested in exploring alternative heating methods, there are other options available that may be more efficient and effective than using wax. As always, it is important to consult with a qualified professional before making any changes to your heating system. Best of luck with your project.

Related to Wax in my heating system instead of water

1. Why is there wax in my heating system instead of water?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that the heating system was designed to use wax instead of water as the heating medium. Another possibility is that wax was accidentally introduced into the system, either through a spill or during maintenance. Finally, it could be that the wax is a byproduct of the heating process, such as in the case of paraffin heaters.

2. Is wax a safe alternative to water in a heating system?

It depends on the specific type of wax and the design of the heating system. Some waxes, such as paraffin, have a low melting point and can pose a fire hazard. Additionally, wax may not be as efficient at conducting heat compared to water, which could result in longer heating times and higher energy costs. It is important to consult a professional and follow manufacturer's guidelines when considering using wax in a heating system.

3. Can I use any type of wax in my heating system?

No, not all waxes are suitable for use in heating systems. Some waxes, such as beeswax, have a higher melting point and may not be able to effectively transfer heat. Others, like candle wax, may contain additives that could clog or damage the heating system. It is important to check with the manufacturer or a professional before using any type of wax in a heating system.

4. What are the benefits of using wax instead of water in a heating system?

One potential benefit is that wax can be less corrosive than water, which can help prolong the life of the heating system. Additionally, wax may be more readily available and cheaper compared to other heating mediums. However, the overall effectiveness and safety of using wax in a heating system should be carefully considered before making the switch.

5. How do I maintain a heating system that uses wax instead of water?

Maintenance for a wax-based heating system may be slightly different compared to a water-based system. It is important to regularly check for any wax buildup or blockages in the system, and to clean or replace any filters or screens as needed. Additionally, it may be necessary to monitor and adjust the wax levels in the system to ensure proper heating. Consulting a professional or following manufacturer's guidelines can help ensure the proper maintenance of a wax-based heating system.