Waves Investigation [Using water]

In summary, the conversation involves a physics experiment where a variable amount of water is dropped from a constant height and the resulting waves are recorded. The experiment will measure the time and number of oscillations, while varying the depth of the water. The individual is currently working on the relevant theory and is unsure of the potential results and their relevance to each other. They mention possible equations but are uncertain of their use. They are advised to define a hypothesis and conduct the experiment to determine the outcome.
Acidvoodoo
hi

in my physics class right now we've been told we're going to be to doing an experiment where we put a variable amount of water into a tray, hold one side up, and drop it from a variable height, thus, when it hits the table, the water will move and waves will ocsillate back and fourth. We've been told to time from when the wave is first seen to when it disspates. Also we're recording how many times this wave has gone competely back and fourth.

so I've chosen to vary the amount of water [depth], so will record the depth, time, and number of ocsilations, and keep the height it's dropped from constant. I'm currently writing my plan and am on the part about relevant theory. Thing is, I'm not sure s of yet what my results will show, and what relevence these pieces of data have to each other. Only equations which come to mind is

speed of wave=wavelength x freq.
and s=ut

but am unsure of what use this is to my experiment, as i will be drawing graphs and stuff so i guess proportion will come into it

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
until you do the experiment, you can't be sure

you have to define a hypothosis. you might be right or wrong, that is what the experiment will show.

Hi there! It sounds like you have a great experiment planned. The equations you mentioned are definitely relevant to your investigation. The speed of a wave is determined by its wavelength and frequency, so by varying the depth of water and measuring the time and number of oscillations, you will be able to calculate the speed of the wave. This will give you a better understanding of how the depth of water affects the speed of the wave. Additionally, by keeping the height of the drop constant, you are keeping the initial velocity of the wave consistent in each trial, which will also help you analyze the data and draw conclusions.

As for the relevance of the data, the relationship between the depth of water and the number of oscillations will show how the depth affects the amplitude of the wave. The time it takes for the wave to dissipate will also give you an idea of how the depth affects the damping of the wave. Overall, your results will help you better understand the behavior of waves in water and how different factors, like depth, can affect them. I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

Related to Waves Investigation [Using water]

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without the actual movement of the medium itself.

2. How can we investigate waves using water?

One way to investigate waves using water is to create a ripple tank, which is a shallow container filled with water and a source of waves. By varying the frequency and amplitude of the waves, we can observe and measure the properties of waves such as wavelength, amplitude, and speed.

3. What factors affect the speed of a water wave?

The speed of a water wave is affected by the medium through which it travels, the depth of the water, and the frequency and wavelength of the wave. The speed of a water wave also increases with increasing temperature.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in water waves?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in water waves is inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the wave equation, which states that the speed of a wave is equal to the product of its wavelength and frequency.

5. How do we measure the amplitude of a water wave?

The amplitude of a water wave is measured by the distance between the highest point of a wave (crest) and the lowest point (trough). This can be measured using a ruler or by using a wave meter, which is a device that measures the height of a wave from its resting position.