Wavepacket incident on a potential step

In summary: The dumping is earlier than the wavepacket hitting the barrier, so it is unphysical.In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in ensuring continuity in the wavefunctions at the boundary in a Fortran 95 program that models the scattering of a wavepacket by a potential step. The use of a factor of \frac{k}{k'} in the wavefunction equations is found to work only when the energy is greater than the potential height, leading to a discontinuity at the boundary. The potential cause is identified as the wavepacket being offset from its initial position, causing discrepancies in the wavefunctions.
id00022
Hello,
I am writing a Fortran 95 program to model the scattering of a wavepacket by a potential step of height V0 at x=0. My wavepacket is formed by the superposition of numerous travellling waves of different k values. The wavepacket has the dispersion relation ω(k)=k2. I want the wavepacket to be in its undispersed state at t=0 at a start position x0. Therefore each component wave is composed of an incident wave, reflected wave, and transmitted wave.

At x≤0 :
ψ(x,t)=A(ei(k(x-x0)-ωt) +[itex]\frac{k-k'}{k+k'}[/itex]e-i(k(x+x0)-ωt))

At x>0 :
ψ(x,t)=A[itex]\frac{2k}{k+k'}[/itex]ei(k'(x-[itex]\frac{k}{k'}[/itex]x0)-ωt)

The factor of [itex]\frac{k}{k'}[/itex] in the bottom equation was found analytically to ensure continuity in the wavefunctions at the boundary. Well, at least that's what I thought: It works as long as E>V0 otherwise there is discontinuity. Can anyone help me as to why? I don't think this is a Fortran programming problem, but more of a physics one...

Physics news on Phys.org
id00022 said:
Hello,
The factor of [itex]\frac{k}{k'}[/itex] in the bottom equation was found analytically to ensure continuity in the wavefunctions at the boundary. Well, at least that's what I thought: It works as long as E>V0 otherwise there is discontinuity.

Exactly. Aren't you satisfied yet?

sweet springs said:
Exactly. Aren't you satisfied yet?

Well not really: when I work through the maths, this factor should work fine in all situations, but in practice it only works when E>V0. If you have any idea why this might be then I would be very grateful. I'm fairly certain its not a problem with my code as I have applied it in many different ways all with the same result.

Hi

for E<V0, ψ for x>0 is no longer a plane wave but an exponentially dumping function as e^-Kx where k'=iK pure imaginary number.

Last edited:
sweet springs said:
Hi

for E<V0 [tex]\psi[/tex] for x>0 is no longer plane wave but exponentially dumping function as e^-Kx

Hi,
Thanks, but this is built into my program already: k' becomes complex reducing ψ=eik'x to e-αx the dumping function you describe.

Hi.

In both of the cases, e^ik'x = e^-Kx = 1 for x=0. So continuity conditions should be the same in the both cases.
What is the discontinuity you are worrying about?

Because if I do not offset by x0, then the wavepacket impacts the step at exactly t=0. Therefore to watch it scatter you must set the time range to be from -t to t. In the period -t to 0 the wavepacket starts off slightly dispersed, becoming less dispersed until it hits the barrier. This is unphysical so I have offset the position of the wavepacket at t=0 to x=x0. Although eikx and e-αx both equal 1 at x=0, eik(x-x0) and e-α(x-x0) are not equal there. So the factor [itex]\frac{k}{k'}[/itex] has to be introduced as above. This works fine on paper but not in practice.

Hi.

id00022 said:
Although eikx and e-αx both equal 1 at x=0, eik(x-x0) and e-α(x-x0) are not equal there.

The dumping depends on the distance from the wall, x-0, not the distance from x0, x-x0.
The wave function for x>0 is e-αx+ikx0.

Related to Wavepacket incident on a potential step

What is a wavepacket?

A wavepacket is a localized disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, carrying energy and momentum. It is often depicted as a group of waves with a specific frequency and amplitude.

What is a potential step?

A potential step is a sudden change in the potential energy of a system, such as a quantum mechanical system. It can act as a barrier or a well for particles, affecting their behavior and properties.

What happens when a wavepacket encounters a potential step?

When a wavepacket encounters a potential step, a portion of the wavepacket is transmitted through the step and a portion is reflected. The transmission and reflection coefficients depend on the energy of the wavepacket and the height and width of the potential step.

How does the shape of the potential step affect the behavior of the wavepacket?

The shape of the potential step can affect the behavior of the wavepacket in several ways. A wider step will result in a larger transmission coefficient, meaning more of the wavepacket will pass through. A higher step will result in a smaller transmission coefficient and a larger reflection coefficient, meaning more of the wavepacket will be reflected.

What is the significance of studying wavepacket incident on a potential step?

Studying wavepacket incident on a potential step can provide insight into the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It can also help in understanding the principles of wave mechanics and the effects of potential barriers and wells on particles. This knowledge has applications in various fields, such as technology, chemistry, and engineering.