Wavelength given time, velocity, and cycles

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of generating longitudinal pulses in a spiral spring and determining the wavelength based on the velocity of the pulse and the number of cycles completed in a given time period. The initial attempt at solving the problem involved converting units and using the equations v=λf and f=1/T, but the incorrect period value of 0.4216 resulted in an incorrect wavelength calculation.
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

As your hand moves back and forth to generate longitudinal pulses in a spiral spring, your hand completes 2.88 back-and-forth cycles every 6.98 s. The velocity of the pulse in the spring is 0.581 cm/s. What is the wavelength? Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

v=λf
f=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted .581 cm/s to .00581 m/s
then I divided 2.88 / 6.98 to get .4126, the period
then I divided 1 / .4126 to get 2.4236, the frequency
and I plugged v and f into the v=λf equation
.00581 / 2.4236 to get .002397 m as the wavelength

but that is incorrect

where did I go wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
2.88 cycles in 6.98s = 0.4126 cycles a second is correct.
You state 0.42126 is the period, but does 0.4216 cycles/second really sound like a period to you?

I hope this gets you on the right track cause the rest of your calculations seem valid.
If you still can't get the correct answer let me know!

Likes GiantSheeps

Related to Wavelength given time, velocity, and cycles

1. What is the formula for calculating wavelength given time, velocity, and cycles?

The formula for calculating wavelength is: wavelength = velocity * time / cycles

2. What units should be used for time, velocity, and cycles in the wavelength formula?

Time should be measured in seconds (s), velocity in meters per second (m/s), and cycles in hertz (Hz).

3. Can the wavelength formula be used for any type of wave?

Yes, the wavelength formula can be used for all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves and mechanical waves.

4. How does wavelength affect the frequency of a wave?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional, meaning that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and vice versa.

5. Is wavelength the same as amplitude?

No, wavelength and amplitude are different properties of a wave. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, while amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position.