Wavelength difference of sodium d lines?

In summary, a person is looking for information on sodium spectrum and has searched on Google and data tables but did not find what they were looking for. They are advised to be more specific in their search and are provided with a link to a reliable source for sodium data.
justawebuser
Hello everyone , I googled for it but nothing came up, Where can I find that?
Thanks in Advance ,

Physics news on Phys.org
UltrafastPED said:
Search harder! Then you will find the answer in http://steck.us/alkalidata/

I looked at data tables , but there was nothing about sodium spectrum :(

See tables 3 and 4 for the wavelengths in air for the sodium D1 and D2 lines.

Likes 1 person
justawebuser said:
Hello everyone , I googled for it but nothing came up, Where can I find that?
Thanks in Advance ,

When you say, "I googled for it but nothing came up," what do you mean? When I typed "sodium d lines" into Google, the very first entry was a Wikipedia page with the wavelength of the sodium D1 and D2 lines. What did you type in?

Likes 1 person
Likes 1 person

Related to Wavelength difference of sodium d lines?

1. What is the significance of the wavelength difference of sodium d lines?

The wavelength difference of sodium d lines is important because it allows scientists to identify and measure the presence of sodium in a sample. This is because each element has a unique set of emission lines, and the wavelength difference of sodium d lines is a distinct characteristic of sodium.

2. How is the wavelength difference of sodium d lines measured?

The wavelength difference of sodium d lines is measured using a spectrometer, which separates light into its component wavelengths. The distance between the two sodium d lines (known as the splitting distance) is then measured and used to calculate the wavelength difference.

3. What causes the wavelength difference of sodium d lines?

The wavelength difference of sodium d lines is caused by the energy difference between the two excited states of the sodium atom. When an electron in a sodium atom jumps from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a photon of light with a specific wavelength, resulting in the two sodium d lines.

4. How does the wavelength difference of sodium d lines vary in different environments?

The wavelength difference of sodium d lines can vary slightly in different environments due to factors such as temperature and pressure. This is known as spectral line broadening and can be used to study the conditions and composition of different environments, such as the surface of the sun.

5. Can the wavelength difference of sodium d lines be used in practical applications?

Yes, the wavelength difference of sodium d lines is used in applications such as flame tests, where the characteristic color of sodium can be used to identify its presence in a sample. It is also used in spectroscopy, which is used in various fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and environmental science.