Wavefunction Normalization at Different Times

In summary, when normalizing a wave function that is dependent on both x and t, it is acceptable to choose any time to solve for the constant (A) as long as it is done consistently. The phase of A can be chosen arbitrarily and will not affect the physical properties of the wave function.
user3
In Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffith, when he is normalizing a wave function that's dependent on both x and t, he let's t=0 , and solves for the constant (A). But if the integration of ψ^2 at any time t is 1, then is it correct to let t = 2, for instance, instead of 0 and solve for A? If yes, that would mean that A could be an infinite number of different A's, and that would be wrong because we would get different values for expectation values of position for every constant A. And if No, explain why please.

Physics news on Phys.org
user3 said:
In Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffith, when he is normalizing a wave function that's dependent on both x and t, he let's t=0 , and solves for the constant (A). But if the integration of ψ^2 at any time t is 1, then is it correct to let t = 2, for instance, instead of 0 and solve for A? If yes, that would mean that A could be an infinite number of different A's, and that would be wrong because we would get different values for expectation values of position for every constant A. And if No, explain why please.

Since the normalization is a constant over time, it doesn't matter which moment you choose to normalize it -- you'll get the same normalization constant.

If you normalize this wave function at t=0 and at t=2, you don't get the same constant:
ψ=Ae^[ -a[(mx^2)/hbar + i t] ] where m, a ,and A are positive real constants.

at t = 0 , you get A=(2am/hbar pi) ^1/4 (solution)

at t=2 , I got A = e^4ai * (2am/hbar pi) ^1/4

if i hadn't done a stupid mistake in the calculations.

user3 said:
If you normalize this wave function at t=0 and at t=2, you don't get the same constant:
ψ=Ae^[ -a[(mx^2)/hbar + i t] ] where m, a ,and A are positive real constants.

if i hadn't done a stupid mistake in the calculations.

The only thing that matters for normalization constant [itex]A[/itex] is the absolute value, [itex]|A|[/itex]. The phase can be chosen arbitrarily.

Likes 1 person
user3 said:

This is correct.

This is incorrect. Hint: write your wave function in the form
$$\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{-amx^2/\hbar}e^{-iat}$$
which might make things slightly more obvious.

When you calculate ##|\Psi|^2 = \Psi^*\Psi##, what happens to the factor that contains t? Remember that ##\Psi^*## means complex conjugate of ##\Psi##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
but what happens if the "i" was not there: ψ=Ae^[ -a[(mx^2)/hbar + t] ] ?

user3 said:
but what happens if the "i" was not there: ψ=Ae^[ -a[(mx^2)/hbar + t] ] ?

That is not an eigen-function of the Schrodinger equation...

Likes 1 person
Then it's a mistake. (It's not a phase)

Likes 1 person
To choose the normalization, fix the time (any time will do). Even at any fixed time, there are an infinite number of possible normalizations, just different by ##\exp(i\theta)##, where ##\theta## is a constant. These different normalizations are physically equivalent, just like in electrostatics the zero of potential is arbitrary. So just pick one.

Schroedinger's equation will take care that the wave function at other times remains correct.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Wavefunction Normalization at Different Times

1. What is wavefunction normalization at different times?

Wavefunction normalization at different times refers to the process of calculating the probability of a quantum system being in a particular state at different points in time. This is done by normalizing the wavefunction, which is a mathematical representation of the quantum state, to ensure that the total probability of all possible states adds up to 1.

2. Why is wavefunction normalization important?

Wavefunction normalization is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a quantum system being in a particular state, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. It also ensures that the wavefunction remains a valid representation of the quantum state, as a non-normalized wavefunction can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of quantum phenomena.

3. How is wavefunction normalization at different times performed?

Wavefunction normalization at different times is performed by calculating the integral of the wavefunction squared over all possible states. This integral is known as the normalization constant, which is then used to divide the wavefunction to ensure that the total probability of all possible states adds up to 1.

4. Does wavefunction normalization change over time?

No, wavefunction normalization does not change over time. The normalization constant remains the same at all times, as it is a fundamental property of the wavefunction. However, the wavefunction itself may change over time, which is why we need to perform normalization at different points in time to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state.

5. How does wavefunction normalization at different times relate to the uncertainty principle?

Wavefunction normalization at different times is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a quantum system simultaneously. This is because the process of normalizing the wavefunction introduces uncertainty in the system, which is necessary for accurately calculating the probability of a state being in a particular position at a given time.