Wavefunction Collapse: Exploring Particle & Wave Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wavefunction collapse in the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics. It is mentioned that this interpretation is currently abandoned and replaced with the concept of Quantum Decoherence. The participants also discuss how a wave-particle acts differently before and after observation, and how the concept of collapsed wave function can only apply to position measurements. They also touch on the complexity of identifying the initial eigenstate and the challenges of explaining quantum mechanics to non-physics audiences.
3nTr0pY
Would it be fair to say that before an observation, a wave-particle is in a superposition of many possible states but that after the observation, the wave-particle is found only in one state?

Would that be analogous to saying that it goes from behaving in a very wave-like manner to behaving in a very particle-like manner because the wavefunction has collapsed?

I just want to be clear on what's going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wavefunction collapse is an artifact of a (currently abandoned) Copenhagen Interpretation. It is replaced with Quantum Decoherence.

Sorry, I'm referring to the Copenhagen interpretation here. Would my description of the Copenhagen interpretation be correct?

Dmitry67 said:
Wavefunction collapse is an artifact of a (currently abandoned) Copenhagen Interpretation. It is replaced with Quantum Decoherence.

Currently abandoned? I don't think so...

Would it be fair to say that before an observation, a wave-particle is in a superposition of many possible states but that after the observation, the wave-particle is found only in one state? Would that be analogous to saying that it goes from behaving in a very wave-like manner to behaving in a very particle-like manner because the wavefunction has collapsed?

Not really. Say the system is initially an eigenstate of Jz and you measure Jx. The state will collapse to an eigenstate of Jx. Now if you measure Jz it will collapse to an eigenstate of Jz (maybe not the initial one.) There is really no sweeping distinction between states that exist before an observation and those that exist after.

Yes, also the thought of a collapsed wave function acting as a particle, could only make sense for position measurements of the particle. If you measured the particle's momentum, though, it would become "less" like a particle in that it's position-space wave function would be spread out.

Bill_K said:
Not really. Say the system is initially an eigenstate of Jz and you measure Jx. The state will collapse to an eigenstate of Jx. Now if you measure Jz it will collapse to an eigenstate of Jz (maybe not the initial one.) There is really no sweeping distinction between states that exist before an observation and those that exist after.
But how would you know that it is initially in eigenstate Jz? Surely in the general case, you have no knowledge of the initial eigenstate and so it acts as a superposition of all possible eigenstates? And then once an initial measurement is made such a superposition no longer exists.

I've not been studying quantum for long so bear with me.

Yes, also the thought of a collapsed wave function acting as a particle, could only make sense for position measurements of the particle. If you measured the particle's momentum, though, it would become "less" like a particle in that it's position-space wave function would be spread out.
Good point. Fourier transforms and that.

Thing is, I'm trying to explain some basic quantum within a limited time frame to an audience that doesn't know physics. So perhaps its alright if I gloss over the complexities. I just don't want to say anything that is plain wrong.

3nTr0pY said:
But how would you know that it is initially in eigenstate Jz? Surely in the general case, you have no knowledge of the initial eigenstate and so it acts as a superposition of all possible eigenstates? And then once an initial measurement is made such a superposition no longer exists.

I've not been studying quantum for long so bear with me.

Good point. Fourier transforms and that.

Thing is, I'm trying to explain some basic quantum within a limited time frame to an audience that doesn't know physics. So perhaps its alright if I gloss over the complexities. I just don't want to say anything that is plain wrong.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-collapse/

Related to Wavefunction Collapse: Exploring Particle & Wave Behavior

1. What is wavefunction collapse?

Wavefunction collapse is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the transition of a particle from a state of superposition (existing in multiple states simultaneously) to a single defined state when it is observed or measured.

2. How does wavefunction collapse occur?

Wavefunction collapse is a probabilistic event that occurs when a particle interacts with a measuring device or is observed by an outside observer. The exact mechanism of how this collapse occurs is not fully understood, but it is described by the mathematical equations of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the role of observation in wavefunction collapse?

In quantum mechanics, the act of observation or measurement is what causes the wavefunction collapse. This means that the properties of a particle are not defined until they are actually measured or observed, and until then, they exist in a state of superposition.

4. Can multiple wavefunction collapses occur?

Yes, multiple wavefunction collapses can occur for the same particle. This is because the act of observation or measurement causes the particle to transition to a single defined state, but it does not change the fact that the particle is still governed by the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

5. How does wavefunction collapse relate to the particle-wave duality of matter?

Wavefunction collapse is an essential concept in understanding the particle-wave duality of matter, as it explains how particles can behave as both particles (having a defined position and momentum) and waves (existing in a state of superposition) depending on how they are observed or measured.