Wavefunction collapse and measurement

In summary, the concept of wavefunction collapse as it pertains to stationary states involves the measurement of energy or position which collapses the wavefunction into an energy eigenstate or an evolving state depending on whether the corresponding operator commutes with the Hamiltonian. Other measurements that yield an evolving wavefunction are those that do not commute with the Hamiltonian. For measurements with operators that have two values, the state of the system will remain in the measured eigenstate if the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian.
wduff
So, rookie question, I know, but I'm having a little trouble with the idea of wavefunction collapse as it pertains to stationary states:

If a measurement of energy collapses a wavefunction into an energy eigenstate, it stays there forever (unless perturbed). But my impression is that although position measurements collapse a wavefunction, the wavefunction will begin to evolve rather quickly after the measurement.

Does this have something to do with the fact that x doesn't commute with H? What are some other measurements that will yield an evolving wavefunction?

Say I have some operator associated with an observable that has two values: 'happy' and 'sad.' What else do I need to know about this situation to predict whether a measurement of 'happy' will leave the particle in that state for all time?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it has to do with whether or not the operator A corresponding to the measurement you are doing commutes with the Hamiltonian H. H governs the time evolution of the wave function. A measurement of A will collapse the system into an eigenstate of A. If A commutes with H, the system will remain in that eigenstate of A as it evolves in time as determined by H. If A and H don't commute, then it will be in an eigenstate of A immediately after the measurement, but will then begin evolving into some linear combination of all the eigenstates of A as time passes.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks for your time phyzguy, glad to hear I wasn't too far from home there!

Related to Wavefunction collapse and measurement

1. What is wavefunction collapse?

Wavefunction collapse is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It refers to the sudden and unpredictable transition of a quantum system from a state of superposition (where it exists in multiple states simultaneously) to a single well-defined state when it is observed or measured.

2. How does wavefunction collapse occur?

The exact mechanism of wavefunction collapse is still a subject of debate among physicists. However, most theories suggest that it is caused by the interaction of the quantum system with the measuring apparatus, which causes the system to lose its superposition and become localized in a single state.

3. Can wavefunction collapse be predicted?

No, wavefunction collapse is inherently unpredictable. The outcome of a measurement of a quantum system can only be determined probabilistically, as the collapse of the wavefunction is a random event.

4. Does wavefunction collapse violate the laws of physics?

No, wavefunction collapse is a natural consequence of the principles of quantum mechanics. It does not violate any physical laws, but it does challenge our classical understanding of cause and effect.

5. What is the significance of wavefunction collapse in quantum computing?

Wavefunction collapse is a crucial aspect of quantum computing, as it allows for the extraction of information from a quantum system. By measuring the state of qubits (quantum bits), which exist in a state of superposition, we can obtain classical information and perform calculations that are impossible with classical computers.