Waveform Revision: Past Exam Papers for Test Prep on Thursday

In summary, the conversation is about a student revising for a test and struggling with a question about calculating the frequency of a waveform sampling. The student has already determined the time for one complete cycle and the frequency, but is unsure about the remaining information. The expert suggests that the question is asking for the sample rate, which can be determined from the given sample period of 1.0us.
TommyM
I'm doing some past exam papers to revise for my test on thursday. And I can't work out the last question in this problem.

I worked out the time for one complete cylce is 50 microseconds, and the frequency is 20,000Hz, 1/Time period. I can't work out the last bit though.

Attachments

• physics2.jpg
    physics2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
TommyM said:
I'm doing some past exam papers to revise for my test on thursday. And I can't work out the last question in this problem.

I worked out the time for one complete cylce is 50 microseconds, and the frequency is 20,000Hz, 1/Time period. I can't work out the last bit though.

I think they are just asking for the sample rate, which is related to the sample period, which they give you. Not sure if it's any more compilcated than that...

so its 8bits s-1?

TommyM said:
so its 8bits s-1?

No. The problem says, "The waveform is sampled every 1.0us", and then asks for the corresponding information transmission rate or something. The wording is a bit off, but I think they just want to know the frequency of the waveform sampling, which you get from the 1us period number.

Related to Waveform Revision: Past Exam Papers for Test Prep on Thursday

1. How do I revise a waveform?

To revise a waveform, you will need to use a digital audio software such as Audacity or Adobe Audition. Import the waveform into the software and use the editing tools to make any desired changes. Save the revised waveform as a new file.

2. Can I revise a waveform without losing quality?

Yes, you can revise a waveform without losing quality as long as you do not make any drastic changes to the original waveform. If you need to make significant revisions, it is best to work with a high-quality audio file to minimize any loss of quality.

3. What are some common reasons for revising a waveform?

There are many reasons why someone may want to revise a waveform. Some common reasons include correcting mistakes, improving sound quality, adding effects or filters, or rearranging parts of the waveform.

4. Can I revise a waveform on my phone or tablet?

It is not recommended to revise a waveform on a phone or tablet as the editing tools and capabilities may be limited. It is best to use a computer with a digital audio software for more precise and comprehensive waveform revisions.

5. Is there a specific technique for revising a waveform?

The technique for revising a waveform will depend on the specific changes you want to make. Some general tips include making small changes, using the zoom function to make precise edits, and listening to the revised waveform multiple times to ensure it sounds as desired.