Wave with oscillating frequency

In summary, the person was looking for a function to generate sine waves with slowly oscillating frequency but their initial approach did not work as expected. They received help in understanding the relationship between frequency and phase, and were provided with a new function that would produce the desired data.
Nikratio
Hello,

In order to test-drive a data analysis program, I am looking for a function that generates sine waves with slowly oscillating frequency, i.e. the distance between the maxima should be slowly changing.

I thought that I could simply achieve this by using a function of the form
[tex]
f(t) = \sin\Bigl( 2 \pi t \bigl[ 5 + \cos( 2 \pi t / 10 ) \bigr] \Bigl)
[/tex]
and expected to get something that oscillates with a frequency that slowly changes between 4 and 6 over when t goes from 0 to 10.

However, the function behaves in a very different way. It reaches a maximum of f(t)~0.5 at t~3 and has to minima very close to each other at t~4.2.

Can someone help me to understand (a) why the above function doesn't behave the way I expect it to and (b) what function I could use to generate the desired data?

Nikolaus

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Nik, you've fallen for a really common mistake with regard to frequency modulation.

In general the instantaneous radian frequency (w=2 pi f) is the time rate of change of phase (phi), this of course is not the same thing as "phase" divided by "t" except for the special case where the phase is a linear function of "t", that is where [itex]\phi = 2 \pi f t[/tex].

So what you really want is,

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{d t} = 2 \pi ( 5 + \cos(\pi t /5) )[/tex]

Which upon integration gives,

[tex]\phi = 10 \pi t + 10 \sin(\pi t /5)[/tex]

Try using f(t)=sin(phi), with phi as given above and I think you'll find it does what you're looking for.

Yes, that was it! Thank you very much!

Related to Wave with oscillating frequency

What is a wave with oscillating frequency?

A wave with oscillating frequency is a type of wave that has a constantly changing frequency, meaning that the number of oscillations or cycles per second is constantly varying. This type of wave is also known as a variable frequency wave.

What causes the frequency of a wave to oscillate?

The frequency of a wave can oscillate due to several factors, including changes in the source of the wave, changes in the medium through which the wave is traveling, or interference with other waves.

How does the amplitude of a wave with oscillating frequency change?

The amplitude of a wave with oscillating frequency also changes as the frequency changes. This is because the amplitude is directly related to the frequency of a wave, meaning that as the frequency increases, the amplitude also increases, and vice versa.

What are some examples of waves with oscillating frequency?

Some examples of waves with oscillating frequency include radio waves, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves. These waves all have variable frequencies and can be used in various applications, such as communication and energy transmission.

How can waves with oscillating frequency be measured?

Waves with oscillating frequency can be measured by using a frequency meter or an oscilloscope. These devices can detect and measure the frequency of a wave by converting it into a visual or numerical representation.