Wave Superposition - Complex Exponential

In summary, the student was trying to figure out how to find the superposition of waves by manipulating different complex exponentials. He got the amplitude and phase angle correct, but did not understand how to get the superposition using the complex exponential form.
djfermion
Hi guys, I lurk here often for general advice, but now I need help with a specific concept.

Ok, so I started a classical and quantum waves class this semester. We are beginning with classical waves and using Vibrations and Waves by A P French as the text. So in the second chapter he discusses wave superposition and describing the motion of two waves added together with a single equation.

In the book, he explains most things geometrical, using the complex vector and complex exponential notation for the wave. He draws both waves and uses law of sines and law of cosines to determine the combined amplitude/frequency/phase angle.

One of the homework problems is then: Express z=sinwt + coswt in the form z=Re[Ae^i(wt+a)]

I was able to accomplish this geometrically with little difficulty and correctly got the answer to be A=root 2 and a=-pi/4. However, my professor said that I should not necessarily rely on the geometry and should be able to get the answer mathematically using the complex exponential form.

I have tried it this way and do not really understand how to go about it. Do I represent sinwt as -iAe^i(wt+a) or possibly as Ae^i(pi/2-wt-a).

Honestly, that particular problem is not that important. I just want to gain insight on how to find the superposition of waves by manipulating different complex exponentials.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so after sitting for a second and reconsidering what my professor had said, I have made progress (half way there!). My professor had said the best way to do them is treat the complex exponentials as vectors and add components as you normally would. So that's what I did and I figured out the amplitude:

z=sinwt+coswt
z=Re[-ie^wt+e^wt]

Let the stuff in the bracket equal Ae^i(wt+a) then,

Ae^i(wt+a)=-ie^wt+e^wt
Ae^i(wt+a)=(-icoswt+sinwt)+(coswt+isinwt)
Ae^i(wt+a)=(sinwt+coswt)+i(sinwt-coswt)

A=root(Re^2+Im^2)
A=root[(sinwt+coswt)^2+i(sinwt-coswt)^2]
A=root(2)

That is indeed what the amplitude should be. Now I just need the phase angle, which seems like it is also so close.

Well I figured it out. If I just expand the left side and equate the real and imaginary parts then I can solve for alpha.

Even though I didn't get any help, this served as a good way to exercise my brain and figure it out for myself, so thank you physicsforum and I'm sure you will see me again soon.

Related to Wave Superposition - Complex Exponential

1. What is wave superposition?

Wave superposition is the principle that states when two or more waves meet at a point in space, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves.

2. What is complex exponential?

Complex exponential is a mathematical function that can be used to represent a wide range of periodic phenomena, including waves. It is a combination of a real and imaginary exponential function.

3. How is wave superposition related to complex exponential?

Wave superposition can be mathematically represented using complex exponential functions. This allows for a more precise and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of waves.

4. What are some real-world applications of wave superposition and complex exponential?

Wave superposition and complex exponential are used in numerous fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications. They are used to explain and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

5. Can wave superposition and complex exponential be used to cancel out waves?

Yes, wave superposition and complex exponential can be used to cancel out waves through destructive interference. When two waves with opposite amplitudes meet, they can cancel each other out, resulting in a net amplitude of zero.