Wave speed of the collision process in a line of cars

In summary: So the time it takes for the front of the car to move is Then the distance between cars isYou're welcome!
snickersnee

Homework Statement

I need to write an equation for the at rest at a stoplight. Each car bumps into the one in front of it until the first car in line gets bumped.

Homework Equations

I found these equations for wave speed:
V=√(T/(m/L)), where T is tension, m is mass, L is length
and of course V=λf

The Attempt at a Solution

l8atx.jpg

But both those equations have a time factor, and I wasn't given any time information. All I know is that wave speed needs to approach infinity as x → 0, and wave speed approaches vo as x→∞
Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
snickersnee said:
I found these equations for wave speed:
V=√(T/(m/L)), where T is tension, m is mass, L is length
You don't have a string here.

I think you are supposed to assume that all collisions are either perfectly inelastic or elastic. The latter is easier to study: what is the speed of the first bumped car after the collision? How long does it take to make the next collision?

Yes we're assuming elastic collisions. The first bumped car is traveling at v0 because the car behind it transferred all its energy. The time until the next collision is
upload_2015-9-7_19-16-47.png
. I was thinking the total distance would be (4L+3x) and total time would be 3v0/(L+x) but then (total distance)/(total time) gives (4L^2+7xL+3x^2)/3v0 but that doesn't satisfy the limits required.

Why should the time change for longer cars (larger L) if the distance between the cars does not change?

Also, your fraction does not have units of time, it has units of inverse time.

mfb said:
Why should the time change for longer cars (larger L) if the distance between the cars does not change?

Also, your fraction does not have units of time, it has units of inverse time.

Thanks for your help. I think the time should change for longer cars because the disturbance takes longer to pass through that car, assuming the velocity of the disturbance is constant. And you're right, I should flip the fraction so it becomes
upload_2015-9-8_19-0-9.png

If the shock would travel at a speed of v (the same speed as the final car speed), your cars would get completely compressed to a single "disk" in the process - certainly not realistic.
Assume that the cars are incompressible (they cannot get deformed permanently in elastic collisions anyway) - as soon as the back of a car moves, the front moves as well.

Related to Wave speed of the collision process in a line of cars

1. What is wave speed in the context of a line of cars?

Wave speed refers to the rate at which a disturbance, or "wave", travels through a medium. In the context of a line of cars, it is the speed at which a sudden change in the speed of one car causes a ripple effect throughout the rest of the cars in the line.

2. How is wave speed calculated in a line of cars?

Wave speed in a line of cars is calculated by dividing the distance between two cars by the time it takes for the wave to travel between them. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is wave speed, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the wave speed of a line of cars?

There are several factors that can affect wave speed in a line of cars. These include the speed and acceleration of the first car, the distance between cars, and the mass and size of the cars in the line. Additionally, external factors such as road conditions and weather can also affect wave speed.

4. How does wave speed impact traffic flow?

Wave speed can have a significant impact on traffic flow. In a line of cars, a higher wave speed means that changes in speed, such as braking or accelerating, will be transmitted more quickly to the cars behind. This can lead to a smoother flow of traffic and reduce the likelihood of accidents or traffic jams.

5. Can wave speed be controlled in a line of cars?

While wave speed cannot be directly controlled in a line of cars, it can be influenced by various factors such as speed limits, distance between cars, and proper signaling and communication between drivers. Implementing these measures can help to regulate wave speed and improve traffic flow.