Wave speed of a transversing guitar string?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving a vibrating guitar string. The first part asks for the amplitude of the standing wave, which was correctly solved. The second part asks for the wave speed of the transverse traveling waves on the string, for which the equation v = λf or v = ω/k can be used. The conversation also includes some incorrect attempts at solving the question, but in the end, the correct answer is determined to be 281 m/s.
magician13134
Hi, I'm completely stuck on a homework question and I really don't even know where to start...

A guitar string is vibrating in its fundamental mode, with nodes at each end. The length of the segment of the string that is free to vibrate is 0.382 m. The maximum transverse acceleration of a point at the middle of the segment is 9000 m/s2 and the maximum transverse velocity is 3.90 m/s.

Part (a) asked "What is the amplitude of this standing wave?" and I was able to correctly get A=1.69×10−3m

Now part (b) is asking "What is the wave speed for the transverse traveling waves on this string?" and I don't even know what equations to use. If someone could just point me in the right direction, tell me a useful equation, or give me a little hint, that would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you probably did to solve a) was this:

[tex] \frac{a_{max}}{v_{max}} = \omega [/tex]

[tex] \frac{v_{max}}{\omega} = A [/tex]

You know that [tex]v = \lambda f[/tex] or alternatively [tex]v = \frac{2\pi f}{\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}} = \frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

You know omega from a) and you can figure out k easily so that's what you should do for b).

AtticusFinch said:
So what you probably did to solve a) was this:

[tex] \frac{a_{max}}{v_{max}} = \omega [/tex]

[tex] \frac{v_{max}}{\omega} = A [/tex]

You know that [tex]v = \lambda f[/tex] or alternatively [tex]v = \frac{2\pi f}{\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}} = \frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

You know omega from a) and you can figure out k easily so that's what you should do for b).

Ok, so I'm trying to work that out, but I still can't seem to get the right answer.

So I know [tex]\omega = 9000/3.9 = 2308[/tex] and that [tex]v = \frac{\omega}{\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}}[/tex] and... I think [tex]\lambda = 4L[/tex], right? So I got 561.2, but apparently that's not right. Did I mess up with [tex]\lambda = 4L[/tex] (using 0.382 for L) or is there something else I'm missing? :confused:

Oh, and thanks!Oh shoot, [tex]\lambda = 4L[/tex] is only for tubes, isn't it... Shoot. Ok, I'll keep working at it.

magician13134 said:
Oh shoot, [tex]\lambda = 4L[/tex] is only for tubes, isn't it... Shoot. Ok, I'll keep working at it.

Yes it's only for tubes. You need to find what the wavelength would be for a string with nodes at both ends (just draw a wave that only has two nodes).

It was [tex]\lambda = 2L[/tex], so the answer was just 281Thanks for your help :biggrin:

magician13134 said:
It was [tex]\lambda = 2L[/tex], so the answer was just 281

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Yep, good job.

Related to Wave speed of a transversing guitar string?

What is the wave speed of a transversing guitar string?

The wave speed of a transversing guitar string is the speed at which the disturbance travels along the string. This is typically measured in meters per second.

How is the wave speed of a transversing guitar string calculated?

The wave speed of a transversing guitar string is calculated by dividing the tension in the string by the linear density of the string, and then taking the square root of that value. This calculation is known as the wave speed equation.

Does the tension of the string affect the wave speed?

Yes, the tension of the string has a direct effect on the wave speed. As the tension increases, the wave speed also increases. This is because a higher tension creates a stiffer string, allowing the disturbance to travel faster.

What other factors can affect the wave speed of a transversing guitar string?

The linear density of the string, the length of the string, and the material of the string can also affect the wave speed. A thicker string, longer string, or string made of a denser material will have a lower wave speed compared to a thinner, shorter, or less dense string.

Why is the wave speed of a transversing guitar string important?

The wave speed of a transversing guitar string is important because it affects the sound produced by the guitar. A faster wave speed results in a higher pitch, while a slower wave speed results in a lower pitch. Understanding the wave speed can also help guitarists tune their instrument and create different sound effects.