Wave Power Potential: Calculating Energy Output

In summary, this person is trying to figure out the potential energy of waves, converting from a unit like horsepower to watts, and then figuring out how much power is generated if the waves are at the same frequency but with a heavier weight.
deckart
Ocean waves are a bit random in frequency and amplitude so I'm just trying lock down a simple scenario to get an idea of the energy potential. Physics math, I know very little.

Let's say we have a steady wave pattern that lifts 10,000 lbs one foot every 2 seconds. Convert to that to an energy unit, like, horsepower. Can someone give me a formula I can work with for that?

I'm actually designing a wave powered generator but my specialty is in the hydraulic side of the project.

Thanks, and if you're interested in the project, message me.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 horsepower is 550 foot pound per second.

There are many wave power projects past and present. A common difficulty is durability. The ocean surface is a harsh environment.

The same as in hydraulics. Simply equate work and energy.

Yep, it is harsh. A block of foam is pretty resilient. The power generation is land based as opposed to having the equipment on the ocean. Just a buoy being lifted for this one.

So, 550 / 2, 10,000 lbs / 225 = 44.4 hp ?

With this formula I found here: http://www.iprocessmart.com/techsmart/formulas.htm
HP =
HP_2.gif

Where F = Force (lbs)
V = Velocity (ft/min)

Moving 10,000 lbs 1 ft every 2 seconds, 30 ft/min, I get:
(10,000 lbs x 30 ft/min) / 33,000 = 9.09 HP

aslo

HP = 550 lbs/ft/sec
10,000 lbs / 2 sec = 5000 lbs/sec
(5000 lbs/sec)/550 = 9.09 HP

What is cool about my device is that I'll also capture that 10,000 lb dropping at the same frequency but that side will not be as efficient. But, if I can get 50-60% of that, that will add 9.09 x .5 to the energy potential. Roughly, 15 HP. 15 HP being my target!

deckart said:
Let's say we have a steady wave pattern that lifts 10,000 lbs one foot every 2 seconds. Convert to that to an energy unit, like, horsepower. Can someone give me a formula I can work with for that?

Sorry I prefer to work in SI units..

Power (Watts) = mgh/t

where
m is the mass in kg = 4536 kg
g = 9.8m/s/s
h is the height in meters = 0.61m
t is the time = 2 seconds

Power = 4536 * 9.8 * 0.61/2 = 13,558W

If you want that in HP then

750w = 1HP
13558 / 750 = 18HP

That is twice the HP I come up with. Are we combining the energy up AND down?

I'm using HP because that is the unit I'm familiar with when working with the hydraulic side.

I made a mistake. 0.61m is two feet not one foot. So we get same answer.

Likes deckart

Related to Wave Power Potential: Calculating Energy Output

1. What is wave power potential?

Wave power potential refers to the total amount of energy that can be harnessed from waves in a given area. It is typically measured in kilowatts per meter (kW/m) or megawatts per meter (MW/m).

2. How is wave power potential calculated?

Wave power potential is calculated by taking into account various factors such as wave height, wave frequency, and water density. These variables are then used to determine the total energy output that can be obtained from the waves in a specific location.

3. What are the main factors that affect wave power potential?

The main factors that affect wave power potential include the strength and consistency of the waves, the distance from shore, and the depth of the water. Environmental factors such as wind speed and direction can also impact wave power potential.

4. How is wave energy converted into electricity?

Wave energy is typically converted into electricity through the use of a device called a wave energy converter (WEC). This device captures the energy from the waves and converts it into electricity through the use of a generator or other mechanical systems.

5. What are the benefits of using wave power as a renewable energy source?

Using wave power as a renewable energy source has several benefits, including its abundance and predictability. Unlike other forms of renewable energy such as solar and wind, waves are consistently present and can be harnessed day and night. Additionally, wave power does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making it a clean and sustainable energy source.