Wave particle duality - my visual/mental image

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempt to understand quantum mechanics through a visual or mental image, specifically the idea of wave-particle duality. They compare this idea to a bedsheet being moved up and down, with the "tops" of the waves representing particles. The speaker asks if this is a valid representation and also mentions the role of gravity in this concept. The responder advises against relying on this outdated concept and suggests a book for further understanding.
smsaks2000
I'm trying to get my head around some ideas in Quantum Mechanics, but I'm trying to find a visual/mental image of the ideas, so that I may, in some cases, understand a little better, if that's even possible.

I have a mental image of wave/particle duality and I'd like to know if it's a valid image.

The idea is based upon a bedsheet. If you take one end of the bedsheet and move it up and down, you can send a "wave" thru the sheet. Now, there's an infinite number of sheets, stacked on top of each other, but still moves like a single sheet...you can send a wave thru the sheets and the wave propagates thru the sheets in the same manner as in the single sheet. That's the "photon" field. The "tops" of each wave appear to us as "particles"...that's the part of the wave that we can "see"...that's the part of the field that's visible to us. The wave's propagation thru the sheet's is the propagation of photons from it's source. And also why they appear wavelike.

Does that make sense? Is it a valid or correct or "a simplified representation of" or just a dumb idea?

Gravity would be something in the sheets which tugs on the sheets, tugs the sheets towards its center. That would affect waves propagating thru the sheets.

(I lurk on this board and read. I ask this question because I trust I'll get a good answer. I am truly in awe at the knowledge of the people who post here. Thank you!)

- Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
smsaks2000 said:
I'm trying to get my head around some ideas in Quantum Mechanics,...I have a mental image of wave/particle duality and I'd like to know if it's a valid image.
Wave-particle duality is not part of the modern (that is, past 75 years or so) formulation of quantum mechanics, so if you're trying to get your head around some ideas in quantum mechanics, you can safely ignore everything you've heard about it.

If you are serious about understanding this stuff, try Giancarlo Girardi's book "Sneaking a look at God's cards".

(And please be mindful of the Physics Forums rule about posting personal theories and speculation).

Likes weirdoguy and bhobba

Related to Wave particle duality - my visual/mental image

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the dual nature of subatomic particles. It suggests that particles, such as electrons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties and can exhibit characteristics of both at the same time.

2. How does wave-particle duality affect our understanding of the physical world?

Wave-particle duality challenges the traditional view of the physical world as being made up of distinct, solid particles. It suggests that at the subatomic level, particles behave in ways that are not intuitive or observable in our everyday lives. This concept has led to significant advancements in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter.

3. Can you provide an example of wave-particle duality in action?

One example of wave-particle duality is the double-slit experiment, where a beam of particles, such as electrons, is passed through two slits. The particles are observed to create an interference pattern, similar to what would be expected from waves. This demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles.

4. How does wave-particle duality relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because at the quantum level, particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, making it impossible to determine their exact location and speed simultaneously.

5. How do scientists visualize and understand wave-particle duality?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations to describe and understand wave-particle duality. They also use various experiments and observations to further explore and test this concept. However, it is important to note that wave-particle duality is a challenging concept to fully grasp and may require a shift in one's understanding of the physical world.