Wave-Particle Duality Controlled by Single-Photon Self-Entanglement

In summary, this conversation discusses a recently stumbled upon paper that suggests a relationship between the "waveness" and "particleness" of a photon through the concept of self-entanglement. However, the paper is not published in a peer-reviewed journal and is not expected to be. There is also a related peer-reviewed paper that has been published in a respectable journal. The terminology used in the paper has been criticized as being vague and potentially misleading, but is common in the experimental community for promoting and selling papers. Overall, the conversation highlights the challenges and controversies in understanding quantum mechanics.
Lord Crc
I stumbled over this[1] paper recently, in which they report of experimental evidence for the claim made in earlier work[2] that the amount of "waveness" V and "particleness" P of a photon is related to the amount of self-entanglement C via the equation V^2 + P^2 + C^2 = 1.

I found it interesting but being a layman I don't really know if it brings anything useful to the table, so to speak, in terms of improving our understanding of QM. Does it?

[1]: https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.01749

[2]: https://www.osapublishing.org/optica/abstract.cfm?uri=optica-5-8-942 (open access)

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that this paper is not published in any peer reviewed journal. Nor is it likely to be.

EDIT: see below, a related peer reviewed paper does exist

Last edited:
Good catch, got a bit mislead by the nice looking website. So no point in spending much effort on understandung these papers then?

Lord Crc said:
Good catch, got a bit mislead by the nice looking website. So no point in spending much effort on understandung these papers then?
Since Dale said "nor is it likely to be", I think you'd most likely be wasting your time.

Lord Crc said:
Arxiv.org is a legitimate website and there's nothing wrong with it - it is an invaluable resource - but you have to understand that is used for sharing and distributing preprints and ideas in progress as well as fully baked ideas.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Thanks for the replies.

Nugatory said:
Arxiv.org is a legitimate website and there's nothing wrong with it - it is an invaluable resource - but you have to understand that is used for sharing and distributing preprints and ideas in progress as well as fully baked ideas.

Yes I know about arXiv, so I assumed Dade was referring to the other paper where the equation in question is derived. I thought I had mistaken it for a peer-reviewed journal, but I see now that I was a bit hasty in my reply as it appears Optica is indeed a peer-reviewed journal?

So, is this just a minor thing then which is likely ok but not very interesting?

Dale said:
Note that this paper is not published in any peer reviewed journal. Nor is it likely to be.

This statement is highly questionable.

First, it is very unlikely that one of the maybe three most successful and famous optics professors still alive does not get his paper published
Second, the full version of this paper has already been published in a respectable peer-reviewed journal (https://journals.aps.org/prresearch/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevResearch.2.012016 ).
Third, the results presented here are not even controversial. This is rather pretty trivial.

Lord Crc said:
Yes I know about arXiv, so I assumed Dade was referring to the other paper where the equation in question is derived. I thought I had mistaken it for a peer-reviewed journal, but I see now that I was a bit hasty in my reply as it appears Optica is indeed a peer-reviewed journal?

Optica is the high-impact journal of the OSA. It is roughly comparable to Physical Review X. This is a very respectable journal.

Likes DrClaude, vanhees71, Demystifier and 2 others
Cthugha said:
This statement is highly questionable.

First, it is very unlikely that one of the maybe three most successful and famous optics professors still alive does not get his paper published
Second, the full version of this paper has already been published in a respectable peer-reviewed journal (https://journals.aps.org/prresearch/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevResearch.2.012016 ).
Third, the results presented here are not even controversial. This is rather pretty trivial.
Optica is the high-impact journal of the OSA. It is roughly comparable to Physical Review X. This is a very respectable journal.
Thanks, good catch. I have to say that “waveness” and “particleness” seem like crackpot ideas, so I was knee-jerk critical

Likes dlgoff and phinds
Dale said:
Thanks, good catch. I have to say that “waveness” and “particleness” seem like crackpot ideas, so I was knee-jerk critical

Yes, I agree that the terminology is not ideal. However, it originated back in the days when people were discussing whether "duality" or the uncertainty relation was more fundamental. In the simple double slit, people noticed that interference and which way information were not completely mutually exclusive, but you could have a bit of both. The simplest example would be unequal illumination of the two slits in a double slit, which yields an interference pattern of reduced visibility and some which-way information proportional to the difference in intensities at the two slits. The visibility was used to quantify "waveness" and the path distinguishability was used to quantify "particleness", which is indeed unfortunate terminology - like so many terms from the early days of qm.

• Informative
Likes DrChinese, DrClaude, vanhees71 and 2 others
Dale said:
Such vague terminology is quite common in the experimental community, especially for papers published in the highest impact journals. That's because such terminology helps to better promote and sell the paper. In fact, I myself plan to soon submit a paper with similar terminology, in which I propose a measurement in which, in a certain sense, both wave and particle properties can be observed simultaneously. Sure, I could write the paper without such terminology, but in that case nobody would read it and I would lower my chances to publish it in a high impact journal. I know it's stupid, but that's how it works.

Likes dlgoff, Dale, DrClaude and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
In fact, I myself plan to soon submit a paper with similar terminology, in which I propose a measurement in which, in a certain sense, both wave and particle properties can be observed simultaneously.
Here it is: http://de.arxiv.org/abs/2003.14049

Likes Lord Crc and vanhees71
That's very interesting. I'm not very familiar with the details of current-density measurements with a Hall probe. The key issue seems to be whether the spatial resolution is sufficient to see these wiggles predicted by your calculation.

Likes Demystifier
Well, I'm also not an expert for Hall probe measurements. It's a challenge for experimentalists, which I am not.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Wave-Particle Duality Controlled by Single-Photon Self-Entanglement

What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior depending on the experimental setup.

What is single-photon self-entanglement?

Single-photon self-entanglement is a phenomenon where a single photon can be in two different states or locations at the same time, and these states/locations are connected or "entangled" with each other.

How is wave-particle duality controlled by single-photon self-entanglement?

In this phenomenon, the single photon's wave-like behavior is controlled by its particle-like behavior, and vice versa. This is possible because the photon's entangled states interfere with each other, creating a wave-like pattern that can be controlled by manipulating the particle-like properties of the photon.

What are the practical applications of this concept?

This concept has potential applications in quantum computing and communication, as well as in high-precision measurements and imaging techniques. It could also lead to advancements in understanding and manipulating the behavior of light and matter at the quantum level.

What are the current challenges in studying and utilizing this phenomenon?

One of the main challenges is being able to control and manipulate single photons with high precision and accuracy. Another challenge is understanding the complex interactions between the photon's wave-like and particle-like behavior, and how they are affected by external factors.