Wave packet - Integration by parts

In summary: Anyway, after integrating, you have$$\left.\frac{A}{x}\sin k'x\right|_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} = \frac{A}{x}[\sin ((k+\Delta k)x) - \sin((k-\Delta k)x)].$$Now sin (a+b) = sinAcosB+sinBcosA , sin (a-b) = sinAcosB-sinBcosA
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi ,

I am reading a little on introductory QM , initial chapters on waves.
They have given an integral for a wavepacket , assuming at t= 0.
Which is: ψ(x,0) = [itex]\int A cosk'x dk'[/itex] (I don't know how to define limits to the integral in Latex upper = k+Δk , lower limit = k-Δk)
which gives ψ(x,0) = S(x)coskx , where S (x) = 2AΔK sin(Δkx)/(Δkx).

Homework Equations

Integration by parts ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I am totally brain stuck , it surely can't be anything complex so I should be able to do it by parts.
Let u =cosk'x and dv = dk'

Or am I overlooking something ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ibysaiyan said:

Homework Statement

Hi ,

I am reading a little on introductory QM , initial chapters on waves.
They have given an integral for a wavepacket , assuming at t= 0.
Which is: ψ(x,0) = [itex]\int A cosk'x dk'[/itex] (I don't know how to define limits to the integral in Latex upper = k+Δk , lower limit = k-Δk)
which gives ψ(x,0) = S(x)coskx , where S (x) = 2AΔK sin(Δkx)/(Δkx).

Homework Equations

Integration by parts ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I am totally brain stuck , it surely can't be anything complex so I should be able to do it by parts.
Let u =cosk'x and dv = dk'

Or am I overlooking something ?
Yeah, it's just a straightforward integration. Remember x acts like a constant here because you're integrating with respect to k'. When you integrate cos k'x, you get sin k'x/x.

ibysaiyan said:
[itex]\int A cosk'x dk'[/itex] (I don't know how to define limits to the integral in Latex upper = k+Δk , lower limit = k-Δk)
You can look at the code in this post to see how to write the integral with limits.
[tex]\int_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} A\cos k'x\,dk'[/tex] You also want a backslash before cos to get the function name to typeset correctly, and a little space (\,) before dk' makes it look better.

It really is simple. x is constant during integration.

Thanks for the responses everyone but I still don't get it.
[tex]\int_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} A\cos k'x\,dk'[/tex]
As it has been mentioned that X and A are constant, so I end up with :

Asink'x/x but when I plug in the limits I get:

2Asin(Δkx)/x... how do they end up with the cos. identity ?

ibysaiyan said:
Thanks for the responses everyone but I still don't get it.
[tex]\int_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} A\cos k'x\,dk'[/tex]
As it has been mentioned that X and A are constant, so I end up with :

Asink'x/x but when I plug in the limits I get:

2Asin(Δkx)/x... how do they end up with the cos. identity ?
After you integrate, you have
$$\left.\frac{A}{x}\sin k'x\right|_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} = \frac{A}{x}[\sin ((k+\Delta k)x) - \sin((k-\Delta k)x)].$$ How did you manage to go from this last expression to what you got?

Last edited:
vela said:
After you integrate, you have
$$\left.\frac{A}{x}\sin k'x\right|_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} = \frac{A}{x}[\sin ((k+\Delta k)x) - \sin((k-\Delta k)x)].$$ How did you manage to go from this last expression to what you got?

Yes. I did get the above step after which I expanded the brackets , which resulted in the cancelling of -kx +kx terms , right ?

Are you claiming that sin(a+b)-sin(a-b) = 2 sin b by simply subracting the arguments of the sines?

Last edited:
vela said:
Are you claiming that sin(a+b)-sin(a-b) = 2 sin b by simply subracting the arguments of the sines?

Oh no, I was greatly mistaken !
I just realized sum formula is all I need...

I feel so stupid :

Just how the hell am I going to become a physicist if I keep doing such silly mistakes...

Ok.. so I have just used the identified that I previously mentioned.. I still don't end up with the form in the OP.

$$\left.\frac{A}{x}\sin k'x\right|_{k-\Delta k}^{k+\Delta k} = \frac{A}{x}[\sin ((k+\Delta k)x) - \sin((k-\Delta k)x)].$$

Now sin (a+b) = sinAcosB+sinBcosA , sin (a-b) = sinAcosB-sinBcosA

I used the above to only end up with

[itex]2A sin(Δkx) coskx / x [/itex]

They seem to have two extra Δk for some reason..

Related to Wave packet - Integration by parts

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet refers to a localized wave disturbance that travels through a medium. It is essentially a group of waves that are combined together and propagate together.

2. How is a wave packet different from a simple wave?

A simple wave is a single, continuous disturbance that propagates through a medium. A wave packet, on the other hand, is a combination of multiple simple waves that have different frequencies and wavelengths. This results in a localized disturbance that has a specific shape and can travel through a medium with more complexity.

3. What is integration by parts in relation to wave packets?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to simplify the integration of complex functions. In the context of wave packets, integration by parts can be used to solve equations that involve wave packets and determine their properties, such as momentum and position.

4. How is integration by parts applied to wave packets?

In order to apply integration by parts to a wave packet, the wave packet must be represented as a function of position and time. This function is then integrated using the integration by parts formula, which involves multiplying the function by its derivative. This can help to simplify the equation and solve for unknown variables.

5. What are some real-life applications of wave packets and integration by parts?

Wave packets and integration by parts have numerous applications in the field of physics and engineering. They are used to study and understand various wave phenomena, such as light and sound waves. They are also used in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and acoustics.