Wave on a string and the chain rule Argh

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the wave equation using a change of variables. The participants use the variables \alpha = x+ct, \beta = x-ct, and u = \alpha + \beta and apply the chain rule to find the second partial derivative with respect to x. An error is identified and the correct solution is provided.
physmurf
Wave on a string and the chain rule...Argh

So, I am working through the wave equation for a review before my friend and I go off to grad school. It has been a couple of years since we both graduated with our BS in Physics.

So, here is the question:

Suppose I want to solve the wave equation using a change of variables. Let's use [tex]\alpha = x+ct[/tex], and [tex]\beta = x-ct, and\: u = \alpha + \beta[/tex]

The wave equation is
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial t^{2}}=c^{2}\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

Now, if we take the partial derivative of u with respect to x and applying the chain rule one gets:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha}\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial \beta}\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}[/tex]

Now if we evaluate [tex]\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}, and \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex] we get
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha} + \frac {\partial u}{\partial \beta} [/tex]

So, what and how do I evaluate the second partial differential with respect to x? I get

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex]

Now, I know this isn't quite right. I am supposed to get:
[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha \partial \beta}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta \partial \alpha}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex]

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hmm...I think there is an error at the beginning. It seems to be that you ought to have

[tex]u = f(\alpha) + g(\beta)[/tex]

as this would correspond to the general solution of the one-dimensional wave equation,

[tex]u = f(x - ct) + g(x + ct)[/tex]

Then, taking derivatives, you get

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha} \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial \beta} \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}[/tex]

and then

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}[/tex]

I think this is where you made your mistake. You have to apply the chain rule twice in order to take the second derivative!

Related to Wave on a string and the chain rule Argh

1. What is a wave on a string?

A wave on a string is a disturbance that travels along a string or rope. This disturbance can be created by moving one end of the string up and down, causing a wave to propagate along the string.

2. How does a wave on a string behave?

A wave on a string exhibits properties of both transverse and longitudinal waves. This means that the particles of the string move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, but also oscillate back and forth in the same direction as the wave.

3. What is the chain rule in relation to a wave on a string?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept that describes how to differentiate a function that is composed of multiple functions. In the context of a wave on a string, the chain rule can be used to determine the speed and amplitude of the wave at any point along the string.

4. Why is the chain rule important in studying waves on a string?

The chain rule allows us to understand the behavior of a wave on a string in more detail. By using the chain rule, we can analyze how changes in one part of the string affect the overall wave and make predictions about its behavior.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to various types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves and sound waves. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many areas of science and engineering to describe the relationships between different variables.