Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wave number

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
$\sin nx$

Is the wave number $n$ or $\frac{2\pi}{n}$?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
$\sin nx$

Is the wave number $n$ or $\frac{2\pi}{n}$?
Is \(n\) represent the wavelength? Then there are two definitions for the spectroscopic wave number and angular wave number.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Is \(n\) represent the wavelength? Then there are two definitions for the spectroscopic wave number and angular wave number.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
I looked at that page but it didn't really help. My prof said one thing and that says something else so I was hoping someone could just say this how it is determined from $\sin nx$.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
I looked at that page but it didn't really help. My prof said one thing and that says something else so I was hoping someone could just say this how it is determined from $\sin nx$.
What did your professor tell and what is the context of this question. Can you please explain?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
What did your professor tell and what is the context of this question. Can you please explain?
Wave equation.

So we have after separation of variables
$$
\frac{T'' + 2T'}{T} = \frac{X''}{X} = -k^2
$$
He said $k$ is the wave number which implies n is the wave number for certain boundary conditions. In my case, the eigenfunction is $X = \sin k\pi = 0$. Therefore, $k = n$.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Wave equation.

So we have after separation of variables
$$
\frac{T'' + 2T'}{T} = \frac{X''}{X} = -k^2
$$
He said $k$ is the wave number which implies n is the wave number for certain boundary conditions. In my case, the eigenfunction is $X = \sin k\pi = 0$. Therefore, $k = n$.
So, \(k=n=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}\) is the wave number.