Where to Stand in a Water Tank Experiment to Experience Minimal Wave Action?

In summary, the person needs to be standing on a nodal line to receive little or no wave action. The equation Xn/L = (n-0.5)wavelength/d is accurate for "small angles", but using an approximation results in an inaccurate answer.
hamza2095

Homework Statement

In a large water tank experiment, water waves are generated with straight, parallel wave fronts, 3.00 m apart. The wave fronts pass through two openings 5.00 m apart in a long board. The end of the tank is 3.00 m beyond the board. Where would you stand, relative to the perpendicular bisector of the line between the openings, if you want to receive little or no wave action?

Homework Equations

Xn/L = (n-0.5)wavelength/d

n is the number of the nodal line, xn is the distance from the bisector to the point on the nodal line, d is the distance between both sources and L is the distance from the midpoint of both sources to the point on the nodal line.

The Attempt at a Solution

For little to no wave action I know the person has to be standing on a nodal line, and the distance from the right bisector to that point would be Xn.

What I've gathered from the question is that the wave length is 3m, d=5m, and L = 3m, and I think n is 1.
However, when I use these numbers i get an answer of 0.9m, when the answer in the back of the book is 1.25m.

This is the answer in the solution manual and I have no clue how they got the wavelength to be 1m, the d to be 2m and the L to be 5m. Help is appreciated.

18b0f4d976adbf549d3d63ceaa4ae291.png

Physics news on Phys.org
hamza2095 said:

Homework Equations

Xn/L = (n-0.5)wavelength/d

18b0f4d976adbf549d3d63ceaa4ae291.png
It does appear that the solution is for a different set of data.

The equation Xn/L = (n-0.5)wavelength/d, which is equivalent to the equation used in the solution, is accurate only for "small angles". It would be better to use formulas that don't assume small angles. For example, using the data in the solution, the more accurate answer would be 1.29 m rather than 1.25 m.

TSny said:
It does appear that the solution is for a different set of data.

The equation Xn/L = (n-0.5)wavelength/d, which is equivalent to the equation used in the solution, is accurate only for "small angles". It would be better to use formulas that don't assume small angles. For example, using the data in the solution, the more accurate answer would be 1.29 m rather than 1.25 m.

Were the values I concluded from the problem correct?, and what formula was used to get the answer of 1.29m?

If the screen is "far" from the slits (L >> d) then there is a formula for the angle θ representing the direction to the first minimum (destructive interference). This formula is based on the "path difference" from the two slits being approximated as d⋅sin θ. Using the condition on the path difference for a minimum, you can calculate θ. Then, using geometry, you can find the distance from the perpendicular bisector to the location of the minimum at the end of the tank.

This is how I got my result of 1.29 m. However, I now realize that the assumption L >> d does not hold in your problem. So, d⋅sin θ is not accurate for the path difference.

Using geometry you can find an accurate expression for the path difference, but it is more complicated. If I redo the calculation without any approximations, I get 1.31 m for the data given in the solution.

Since the solution uses the approximate formula, I would guess that you are OK with working the problem as you did. But, keep in mind that your answer is only an approximation. Without approximation, I get 1.21 m instead of 0.90 m. So, you can see that your approximated answer is not very accurate.

Related to Where to Stand in a Water Tank Experiment to Experience Minimal Wave Action?

What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon where two or more waves meet and combine to form a new wave. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

What are the types of wave interference?

There are two types of wave interference: constructive interference and destructive interference. Constructive interference occurs when the peaks of two waves align and create a larger amplitude wave. Destructive interference occurs when the peaks of one wave align with the troughs of another wave and cancel each other out.

What factors affect wave interference?

The factors that affect wave interference include the wavelength, amplitude, and phase of the waves. The distance between the waves and the medium they are traveling through can also affect interference. Additionally, the angle at which the waves intersect and the medium's properties, such as density and temperature, can impact interference.

How does wave interference impact everyday life?

Wave interference plays a significant role in everyday life. It is the principle behind many technologies, such as radio and cell phone signals, which rely on the interference of electromagnetic waves. It also explains phenomena like rainbows, where light waves interfere with each other to create a spectrum of colors.

How is wave interference used in science?

Wave interference is used in various fields of science, including optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. In optics, it is used to explain the formation of diffraction patterns and interference filters. In acoustics, it is used to design and improve sound systems. In quantum mechanics, it is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.