Wave Interference Pattern Question

In summary, we can use the formula n = (2d/wavelength) + 1 to calculate the number of nodal lines in an interference pattern created by a two-point source. For the given data, there are 3 nodal lines and the angles at which they are located from the sources are 45 degrees, 63.43 degrees, and 90 degrees.
wilson_chem90
A two-point source operates at a frequency of 1.0 Hz to produce an interference pattern in a ripple tank. The sources are 2.5 cm apart and the wavelength of the waves is 1.2 cm.

Calculate the angles at which the nodal lines in the pattern are far from the sources. (Assume the angles are measured from the central line of the pattern).

Relevant equations:
dsinO = (n-1/2)(wavelength)

O = angle theta

my problem is, is that i can't figure out how many nodal lines there are in order to do the question. I know once i rearrange the equation i can find the angle, by the way i rearranged it to be O = sin inverse [(n-1/2)(wavelength)/d}.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a formula to find out the number of nodal lines? Yes, there is a formula to find the number of nodal lines. The formula is given by: n = (2d/wavelength) + 1, where d is the distance between the two sources and wavelength is the wavelength of the waves. Using this formula, we can calculate the number of nodal lines for the given data as: n = (2*2.5 cm / 1.2 cm) + 1 = 3 nodal lines. Once you have calculated the number of nodal lines, you can use the equation: O = sin inverse [(n-1/2)(wavelength)/d] to calculate the angles at which the nodal lines in the pattern are located from the sources. For the given data, the angles will be: O1 = sin inverse [(3-1/2)(1.2 cm)/2.5 cm] = 45 degreesO2 = sin inverse [(2-1/2)(1.2 cm)/2.5 cm] = 63.43 degreesO3 = sin inverse [(1-1/2)(1.2 cm)/2.5 cm] = 90 degrees

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. The number of nodal lines in an interference pattern is dependent on the number of sources and the distance between them. In this case, there are two sources and the distance between them is 2.5 cm. Using the equation you provided, we can calculate the angle at which the nodal lines are located.

First, we need to determine the number of nodal lines present in the pattern. This can be done by rearranging the equation to solve for n:

n = (2dsinO/wavelength) + 1

Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:

n = (2*2.5 cm*sinO)/(1.2 cm) + 1

n = 4.17 + 1

n = 5.17

Since we cannot have a fraction of a nodal line, we can round down to get a total of 5 nodal lines in the pattern.

Now, we can use this value of n in the equation you rearranged to find the angle at which the nodal lines are located:

O = sin^-1 [(n-1/2)(wavelength)/d]

O = sin^-1 [(5-1/2)(1.2 cm)/(2.5 cm)]

O = sin^-1 [2.4/2.5]

O = sin^-1 [0.96]

O = 75.5 degrees

Therefore, the angles at which the nodal lines are located are 75.5 degrees from the central line of the pattern. I hope this helps answer your question. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Best,

Related to Wave Interference Pattern Question

1. What is a wave interference pattern?

A wave interference pattern is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. What causes a wave interference pattern?

A wave interference pattern is caused by the superposition of two or more waves. This means that the waves overlap and their amplitudes are added together at each point in space. The resulting pattern is determined by the amplitudes and wavelengths of the individual waves.

3. What types of waves can create interference patterns?

Interference patterns can occur with any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves (such as light and radio waves), sound waves, and water waves. The only requirement is that the waves must have the ability to overlap and interfere with each other.

4. How is a wave interference pattern used in science?

Interference patterns are used in science to study the properties of waves and to make measurements. For example, in physics, interference patterns can be used to determine the wavelength of a wave. In optics, they are used to create diffraction gratings, which are used in many scientific instruments.

5. Can a wave interference pattern be predicted?

Yes, a wave interference pattern can be predicted using mathematical equations. These equations take into account the properties of the individual waves, such as their amplitudes and wavelengths, to determine the resulting interference pattern. However, in some cases, the exact pattern may be difficult to predict due to the complexity of the wave interactions.